VSTAR 1300 Fuel filter - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mrdub
  • 2 Post By lesblank

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

VSTAR 1300 Fuel filter

So I just got a new (used) 2007 VSTAR 1300 and on my ride home, it began running rough and was running out of gas. I added fuel and it got better, but has returned. The seller told me it had been sitting for 7 month prior to my purchase so I imagine it is a bad gas problem. I want to drain the old gas and replace the filter. I can't find the filter! Even looked in the manual and don't see one. Can anyone tell me where to find the filter and how to drain the secondary tank? Or any other place bad fuel may be hanging around?
Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:29 PM

Garage
There is no filter.. it's a screen in the sub tank fuel pump located under the seat on the right. You'd have to pull the fuel pump to check the screen. I'd be also looking at the spark plugs for corrosion from sitting. bad plugs can cause all sorts of weird issues and destroy your exhaust cat if it has one still. Look the bike over for a tune up.. Plugs..maybe wires.. oil and filter change.. air filter..

To drain the secondary tank you'll have to pull the fuel pump as well.

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oem...5ed6/fuel-tank

Have a look at the parts break down to better understand

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.

Last edited by Mrdub; 05-09-2018 at 02:34 PM. Reason: added link :)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Good advice. Thank you for confirming that there is not a filter. I was losing my mind looking for it.
Stay tuned and I will tell you how it turns out. It seems to be a low end problem. kind of clears up with a wide open throttle.
Strange...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:41 PM

Garage
You could also try adding seafoam to the fuel to help clean the system and the injectors.. Or a just a good quality fuel injection cleaner.
KCW and KCW like this.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:43 PM
KCW

Garage
MRDub beat me to it - Im starting to sound like a parrot - this time of year everyone needs to put some sea foam in their first couple tanks of fuel.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:55 PM

Garage
You stated you had a manual. Don't know if you have electronic version. I keep copy on my phone and tablet, very handy at times. If you need it:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...NqDMq7JhH8Z49G
My 1100 and My 1100 like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode