2004 vStar 1100 - Smoke & Oil out the Exhaust - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

2004 vStar 1100 - Smoke & Oil out the Exhaust

Hello everyone.

I've recently been gifted a 2004 Yamaha vStar 1100 Classic with about 33k miles on it.
The previous owner (good friend who went into the Marines) had let it sit outside for a long time without an exhaust system on it (crushed when he dropped the bike on it) which he was going to replace along with the KJS carb & intake kit he bought. I was handed the bike and the kit to have a go at fixing it up.

I installed the Carb & Intake kit and purchased a Hard Krome 2-to-1 Sideburner from Ebay. After many Saturday hours of trying to attach it, I finally was able to start it up for the first time. Right away the amount of smoke exiting the exhaust was concerning, but it was white and the thought of it sitting for a long time outside had me thinking we were dealing with a bunch of water. After a few backfires it started to choke and stall with an ending puff of white smoke out the carb/air filter.

I pulled the spark plugs and they were old and ugly -- bought new ones NGK BPR 5ES (as requested by KJS documentation). I drained the gas and put new gas in, installed the new plugs and started it up... started right up and boy it sounds great! However its still smoking ... thick. More white than anything else. After letting it idle for a long time I check the exhaust and noticed the inside is coated with oil -- and the smoke does have a tint of grey in it. When revving it a bit it mostly sounds okay but it does have the sound of a lot of smoke (much like how a cigarette smoker talks when filled with smoke vs when they are not).

The questions -- what am I possibly facing here? What should be my next steps be?

I'm not a bike mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I am a meticulous do-it-yourself'er.

Thanks for any feedback you guys can provide and let me know if I left out some details!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:31 AM
KCW

Garage
you should probably change the oil, and see if there was any water in the crankcase.

If it sat for a long time exposed to rain, the cylinder walls could be rusted up, and the engine could be blowing oil past the rings. That might clear up after the bike is run for a while, as long as the cylinder walls are not pitted with rust.

White smoke is water. You should be able to tell if the exhaust smells like oil, or gas (running rich).

When you drained the gas, did you have the petcock turned to ON or RESERVE?

I has to be on reserve to get the last 1/2 gallon of gas out. Putting some Seafoam in the tank (Walmart auto section) would help.

Last edited by KCW; 05-18-2018 at 08:34 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 09:07 AM
KCW

Garage
What your friend did with the bike is a good example of a universal truth: its not the first mistake that gets you, its the second.

Dropping the bike and needing to replace the exhaust is not a big deal.

But taking the exhaust off the bike, and then letting it sit outside in the weather for years uncovered, and not prepping the bike for storage (full tank of gas with a fuel stabilizer), can do far more damage that a dented exhaust pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

It sat for months rather than years so it was enough to get drenched a few times. The screws holding most of the chrome started to rust over (pulled them and wire-brushed them off and soaked them in a rust solution)

The exhaust has a gas smell to it so I figured it was running rich. The instructions from KJS stated "DO NOT ADJUST THE CARB!!...", and while I'm sure that might be true in most cases as the problem might be something else, it looks like (err smells like) an adjustment needed.

Anyway, I detached the fuel line from the carb and drained it with the petcock set in the ON position. The tank hardly had any gas in it to begin with and wasn't that heavy to carry around when it was off. I had added quite a bit of new fuel that has mixed in with whatever was left -- do you think that's okay or should I re-drain it and have it idle for an hour or so?

Afterwards, an hour of idling with no change in the amount of smoke pouring out -- is the suggestion to pull the exhausts back off and start checking for damage inside the cylinder head covers?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:20 PM
KCW

Garage
If the exhaust is white and smells like gas, it could be running very rich. Usually when a bike has sat the problem is the jets in the carbs get plugged up, so if it runs at all it runs very lean.

There are only two ways I can think of that would make it be running rich:

1. if you are keeping the choke on all the time. The choke needs to be pulled out all the way when the bike is cold, to start, then push it in about half way once it starts, let it run for maybe a minute or two (ride about half a mile) then push it in all the way. If you are letting it idle with the choke not pushed in, then it will be running very rich. Make sure the choke knob is actually pushing the mechanism on the carbs - look up under the tank and you should see the parts moving.

2. If one or both floats are stuck the carbs will over fill with gas - it may also be flowing out the overflow tube. If its doing that you should see gas dribbling out on the right side of the bike. If the floats are stuck sometimes tapping the carbs with a screwdriver handle will shake them loose, if not you have to clean the carbs. You dont want to run the bike if the floats are stuck.

Normally when you put performance exhaust and intake on a bike you have to change the jets and/or adjust the PMscrews, because the increased airflow will make it run lean - too lean. If the bike is running rich even with the mods an no changes to the jets or PMS, then something else is wrong.

Im not sure if you mean you have already let the bike idle for an hour? thats a long time to let it run. You would be better off taking it for a ride for ten minutes than to let it sit and idle.

If the oil was not changed since the bike was parked I would take the drain plug off, and catch the oil in a clean pan, and make sure there is nothing in there. Its only 3 quarts, and you can get the cheap Walmart generic 20W40 for now (in the car section, the one with the bottom half of the SAE lollypop symbol blank, which means it has no added mileage enhancers or slippery lubricants that will make your clutch slip).

then you can keep an eye on the oil and see if its blowing out the crankcase breather tube into the carb intakes and getting burned.

about the gas, if you drained it out but left the reserve (3 quarts) in there, it should be ok with new gas. I would still get the Seafoam and put 5 ounces in the full tank of gas. It will clean the carbs out and would help of the floats are sticking.
Elk and Scrumdown like this.

Last edited by KCW; 05-18-2018 at 01:48 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Great Info! Much Thanks!

1) Ill give it a ride around the block (1/3 mile) like that
2) Nothing overflowing thus far

I did not leave it idle for an hour, I was speaking hypothetically if I were to run it for an hour and the smoke didn't clear up, should I go after the cylinders.

Yes - the oil was sitting along with the bike. I'll change this out over the weekend.

The crankcase breather tube has an independent breather filter on it; it was the recommended setup from KJS carb & intake kit and it might make it easier to see what blows out .

I'll grab the Seafoam when I pick up the Oil. The entire carb is sparkling brand new so I'm hoping there is not much to clean with it.

I'll check back in afterwards. Until then... thanks so much for your time and expertise!
Scrumdown likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 06:27 AM

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to BigDean65
My 1100 was running rich and exhaust was white and smelled like fuel.

My problem ended up being the float valve needle seat o-rings needed to be replaced.
KCW likes this.

Dean
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so sorry for the delay in updates on this, but it took me a while to get to a point where it was worth a post.

As far as the "oil coming out of the exhaust":
I drained the oil and put 3 quarts in (did NOT change oil filter). Using one of the empty quart bottles, I estimate that it had about 5qts of oil in it. I'll guess that someone used the oil window while the bike was leaning on its kickstand to determine the oil level and put in 2qts thinking it was empty. Anywhoo -- Oil no longer spits out of the exhaust. That problem is solved.... for now.

I also placed another brand new set of spark plugs in (the others were drenched in that oil).

Now that I was comfortable with driving it on the road without painting a neighboring vehicle or pedestrian with bike oil, I gave it a spin around our little community (25mph, few stop signs, about 1/2mile trip). By the time I make it back to my house it sounds as if its starving and if I don't keep the RPM's up, it shuts off and never starts back up (again, choke full/half/off doesn't matter).

On a cold start, it starts right up and sounds, smells, and looks great... exhaust looks perfect, everything you would expect in a bike in good form. It warms up and starts to get smokey out of the exhaust with a strong exhaust fume smell. I push the choke in half/way, still idling and still smokey. I push the choke in completely (off), no change. I take it for that ride I just spoke about, and it shuts off by the time i get home and refuses to start.

Today after the ride, I felt the warmth of each set of fins on the head casing (front and rear). The rear felt much cooler than the front. Yesterday I did the same thing and the front felt cooler than the rear. I'm not sure if this tells us anything...

Any words of wisdom from the community would benefit greatly. I've called local bike shops and no one wants to work on it (mainly because of the aftermarket carb and exhaust).
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maetag View Post
I've called local bike shops and no one wants to work on it (mainly because of the aftermarket carb and exhaust).
That is some weak ass shit! A good shop will work on it.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!

Last edited by Scrumdown; 06-08-2018 at 09:14 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 04:37 PM
KCW

Garage
check the plugs again and see if they are carboned up already (running rich) or completely white still. If I had to guess I would think its running rich, because the engine needs more gas when its cold, and then as the heads get hot it needs less and less. If it was running lean it should run better when its hot and be hard to start, and your bike is doing the opposite of that.

If the plugs look normal then it might be time to check the compression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode