1300 or 1100 cc - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NorthernRider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
1300 or 1100 cc

Which is the better motor? The 1300 cc or the 1100 cc ?

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 12:24 AM

Garage
I have daily commuted on an 1100 for several years now. Put 50k on it in 4 years. Great bike. My wife and I ride together alot and at times I wished my bike was a little bigger. Earlier this year we took a three day 900 mile trip. The 1100 did great but was stretching it legs on the interstate with several straight hours at 80 plus. The speed limit was 75, so 80 was in the slow lane. Hopefully someone who has owned both will reply. I can tell you my next bike will probably be the 1300.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 09:32 AM

Garage
The 1300 is a more modern engine, less valve wear due to the addition of rollers instead of tappets on the camshaft. In fact the recommended valve adjustment is 16,000 miles (4000 on the 1100) and many find that they don't need adjusting until you get in the 50K range. Also the 1300 is fuel injected and there are many aftermarket fuel tuners for when you change the exhaust and intake, or some go full on and have the ECU computer flashed. With the 1100 which has carburetors , you have to re-jet the carb. The 1300 has a spin on oil filter vs the canister type (1100) which requires removing plates and panels. Also the 1300 is water cooled and air-cooled vs the air cooled 1100. Some may not like water cooling but the 1300 is pretty trouble free.

The 1300 is belt driven which is smoother and more power delivered to the rear wheel. The 1100 is shaft drive which may appear to be more maintenance free, but search the threads here on shaft U joint issues. Belts can also have issues too like getting rocks between the belt and pulley on non pavement roads being misaligned and too loose or too tight. Shaft drives create a minor gyroscopic motion to the bike when accelerating, not a big deal but if you never have ridden a shaft bike you will notice it right away. So basically pick your poison. I personally take belt over shaft any day.

But those are some of the differences, basically 2 different motorcycles. Best thing is to ride them and see what you think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 10:37 AM

Garage
I have had a 1100 for 5 years and loved the bike. Wasn't always happy with it on the highway. Always felt like it needed another gear after 60. Last year I got a 2007 1300 and have been looking at these 1300s for a while. Its a different riding position than the 1100. A lot more power for a little more weight. My wife got the 1100 and fits her great. Overall 2 very nice bikes but you need to test ride both to see what fits you.

Need some wind therapy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 02:04 PM

Garage
I rode an 1100 and I rode the 1300 for a test ride when i was looking at a new bike. For the price difference and power difference the 1300 was what i went with.

Fuel injected vs carb
seating position ( I'm 6'0")
power (I ride 2 up 30% of the time)
Overall bike size is bigger and better on the highway

In this my 3rd year on 1300 I did the ecu flash and I love this bike all over again. Power is great..fuel economy is about the same as before.. smoother on the highway..no issues when out running the roads with a friend on his Vulcan 2000 power wise.. honestly thinking about it I really don't need anything bigger. 2 up is no issue with power or handling. I was actually surprised when i first got the 1300 but slow maneuvers are better/easier than on my Honda shadow phantom 750. No issues with using the 1300 for city riding..

These are just my thoughts but I'd say best comparison is to test ride and figure what your going to use the bike for.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the info.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 04:53 PM

Garage
Not that it helps with which engine is better..they have many differences..

My bike has 65,000 miles on it and still strong as ever.. so longevity is not an issue with the 1300.. I know of a few others that are easily over 50,000 miles.. with a 1300.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 06:00 PM

Garage
Ummmm, Iím gonna lean slightly towards the FI 1300, yet Iíve ridden the 1100 and it was plenty fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 06:05 PM

Garage
I like the simplicity of the 1100, but I have to agree it needs longer legs for highway riding, especially two up. It'll do it all day, but it just feels like it's working a little too hard. Never ridden a 1300 but with the liquid cooling, FI, and bigger engine it sounds like it should work pretty good.
Keith Post likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode