Jetting / Carb Help - WOT issues - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Twinzer
  • 1 Post By Twinzer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Jetting / Carb Help - WOT issues

Hey there - I searched the forums and found some information but not sure if it gave me the right answer for my issue.

I have a 2000 VStar 1100 Classic with a full Roadburner street pros 2 1/2" exhaust and a Baron Air Filter kit.
I rejetted the carbs with a DynoJet kit and installed everything per the instructions. Starts and runs great apart from 3/4 to full throttle (WOT) - the bike starts to hesitate, drop revs at full throttle and feels like it is cutting out.
I tried the following:
- putting on the choke a full throttle - no difference.
- checked for air leaks with carb spray - nothing.

The only thing I have not done is sync the carbs but I am not sure that would help. I'm thinking that due to my setup, I need bigger main jets ; the dynojet main jet size set up is 110 and 108. I think I need 115 and 112.5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I start breaking this down again. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 03:40 PM

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 08:16 PM

Garage
Can't help with the DynoJet set up. It has always worked best for me using Mikuni jets. Use the chart below to fix you jetting issues. And yes you must sync after anytime you do anything to the carbs.

Here is the entire article.

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting

Keep us posted on your results.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks folks. I will go ahead and sync the carbs. If that does not help any, I think I need to go up a size in the main jets with the Baron Air Kit. For a 2000 VStar, they recommend 112.5 and 115.
If I eventually switch to pods, I will up the size of the jets again.
lesblank likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:30 PM

Garage
Just remember that Dynojet and Mikuni jets are different sizes in relationship to their numbers. The short style Mikuni jets are the recommended brand for our carbs.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks lesblank
lesblank likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:09 AM

if you still have the stock mikuni needles put them in, increase the mains to 115 mikuni jets in both cylinders and adlust the pms screws out from stock setting a quarter turn. the pipes will cause popping on decell so turning the screws out will quiet the popping..keep pilot jets stock 17.5.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks nick57 - any reason you suggest going with the same size jets in both carbs?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 PM

last i heard was the exhaust manifold comes off the head at a sharp angle so the flow is restricted..or there might be a heat issue with the front cylinder getting a good air flow
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinzer
Thanks nick57 - any reason you suggest going with the same size jets in both carbs?

I have yet to take the entire exhaust off of the new 1100 but maybe it's like the stock 650 in that the front and rear primaries are of a different inside diameter and different lengths from each other so the flow characteristics may dictate slightly different sized mains as determined by the Yamaha pointy-heads. The flow may change enough with an aftermarket exhaust to warrant using the same sized mains... it's what I would try but ultimately plug readings would determine what's best even if it upsets my OCD compulsion to always have things equal/balanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode