Piggy is getting sorted - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Diogenes415
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By Scrumdown
  • 1 Post By Diogenes415

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Piggy is getting sorted

As I mentioned in the General Daily Ride thread (which was expunged) I bought a 2004 XVS1100 and have been in the process of sorting it out over the past week. The PO said he installed a Baron BAK and drag pipes but reverted back to the stock pipes because his wife hated the noise so he sold the drag pipes and put the stockers back on. I figured the easiest route for me to go was get after market pipes since the bike was running kinda rough... not surprising... so I got a set of freer flowing Baron slash cut 2.5" pipes. The damned things are just too loud even with the baffles in them. Yeah they'd be great pipes if all you do is show up for goofy biker meets/rallies and want to pose but if you actually like riding for days on end out on the open roads of nowhere then these pipes are just too obnoxious. So I put the stockers back on and checked the intake. I don't know if the PO put the stock jets back in or never even rejetted after getting the open air-filter and pipes but the bike runs so much better after my shadetree mechanic hack (sorry lesblank ) of covering the front half of the open air filter with aluminized duct tape. This bike is very impressive... single finger effortless braking, power on demand, I found myself doing 95mph without realizing it even with the goofy pullback handlebars (sans windshield of course).

I was on the fence about whether or not my bro and his fiance would like this bike as a wedding present but there's no way they'll be disappointed.
lesblank and KCW like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:50 PM

Garage
Glad you got it running right. I had a riding buddy with the same pipes. Going a steady high speed he woke the dead up. He rides a lot and only left them on a few months. Hey, glad your "hack" worked. 😄
Diogenes415 likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 08:30 AM

Garage
It is a nice feeling getting a machine back to running shape. Good job Diogenes415!

Yesterday riding into work, this .... "female", cut in behind me. If she was 15in off the tip of my rear fender. I would have been happy with that. I was already doing 70mph. So I hit the throttle and Big Burtha moved. I looked down when I was 100 yrds down the road and BB was going 92/93. (Needle was half way between 90 & 95 indicators.) I was happy that she could do that. But, I am not a comfortable going that fast on her. Yet. Still getting use to her.

And Diogenes415 I'll pretend to be your brother if he doesn't like the bike.
Diogenes415 likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

After their visit and going for many rides this weekend my bro and sis-in-law love the XVS1100 and Piggy has a new home. I'm so stoked!

Something I want to mention which flat out blew my mind. I've only worked on three previously owned V-Stars so far but each one has had slight carburetion issues upon purchase and in all three cases the issues were because the intake duct-work between the air filter and carbs was not connected properly causing lean fuel/air mixtures and either the PO or whoever was tasked with working on the bike tried to compensate for that fault by futzing with the jetting and/or pilot mixture screws. Three out of friggin three!! If anyone here buys a V-Star and the bike doesn't quite run spot on then I'd advise you to ensure that the intake duct work is connected properly before worrying that the carbs, ignition or exhaust is the culprit.
lesblank likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 PM

I agree. When I got mine duct work fell off. Not much of a lip to tighten down to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode