Saddle question for my 02 1100 Classic - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By afaycasaym
  • 1 Post By JoeRoyal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Saddle question for my 02 1100 Classic

I'm a newer rider and just recently have gotten comfortable enough to start taking longer rides. I did one of these over Memorial Day and am discovering that my stock seat is causing some fairly annoying pain on my tailbone. I'm only 33 and larger than average but not huge by any stretch (6'1" and about 230lbs). Anyone else out there have similar issues? I know that saddles are SUPER subjective but was hoping to get a bit of feedback on this.

I've heard a lot of good things about Mustang seats but tbh im a bit weary of dropping $450 on a saddle that I wont get to sit on until it's on my bike (and thus harder to return if I end up not liking it).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:23 AM

Garage
I'm kinda in the same boat with my stock seat, and I agree it's hard to spend out that kind of money when you're not sure. There have been a lot of discussions about aftermarket seats on here and like you said, everyone has their own opinion. Mustangs are very popular but I've heard they raise you up and forward a bit, so that's something to keep in mind. From what I've read Ultimate are comfortable and more or less maintain the stock seating position. But like I said, I have no frame of reference other than what I've read as I haven't tried either but I'm sure others will chime in.

There's also a website that explains in fairly good detail on how to modify your stock seat if you're so inclined and want to save some money. I'm keeping an eye out for cheap stock seat I can experiment on before I tackle it though. I don't want to miss any of our too short riding season because I messed up my seat. Not sure if that would interest you but here's the link: Modify ? DIYMotorcycleSeat.com

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:27 AM

I'd put more saddle time in, try as many seat types as you can and figure what ergos work best for you before dropping money on a particular seat just because a lot of other people like it. I've been riding for 40 years and feel most comfortable on seats that are either flat or have a slight curve to them towards the rear... seats with a butt stop are a no-go for me. The stock seat on my XVS650 Custom is one of the most comfortable I can remember riding on whereas the top of the line Mustang on my XVS1100 is horrible by comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:49 AM
KCW

Garage
I had the same experience when I got my 650 five years ago. I was fine on my half hour commute to work and back everyday, but after an hour on the bike my butt would be completely numb when I stood up.

Before you get sucked into the vortex of everyone's personal experience with the many after markets seats out there, understand one thing: just like everyone wears different clothes, and helmets and boots, and different bikes are good for different people, there is no single magical seat that will be comfortable for everyone.

I used the DIY website that NorthernRider linked to, and greatly improved the stock seat on my 650. The biggest improvement was carving a V groove right down the middle of the seat for my tailbone. Second to that I added about 6" of 3/8" closed cell foam to the front of the seat (the point by the tank) which effectively tilted the angle of the surface back just a bit. It stopped me from sliding forward into the gastank on every freaking little bump in the road.

Im happy with my two minor mods to my stock seat. I might pull the cover off again and put in a layer of gel pad someday, but for now I can ride the bike for an hour to 90 minutes, get off and stretch my legs, and ride another hour.

For me the other thing that makes the bike more comfortable for longer rides is a 'drivers' backrest. Having even a little bit of support in the small of your back makes it easier for me to sit up straight, and not feel like I riding on a bar stool.

Couple things about the DIY website: shaping your foam with a 4.5" angle grinder sounds insane, but it works incredibly well. Just have to be careful, only sweep the grinder in one direction (like you are spreading butter dragging the wheel across it, not carving a turkey with the leading edge!)

One thing I did differently, instead of putting the seat cover back on with a powered stapler, I got a box of 3/8" sheet metal screws (I think #6) and washers and used those to put the original cover back on.

Like others have said, you can get another OEM used seat pretty cheap, so dont be afraid to take the cover off your seat, and at least try the V groove for your tail bone.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 07:26 AM

Garage
I think many have had issues with the stock seat on 1100s and 650s. I read different reviews on Mustang, Corbin and Ultimate with very mixed reviews. Everyone has a little different butt and finding your perfect seat could be difficult - and expensive. For me, I bought a AirHawk off eBay (used) and it definitely helps.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:52 AM

Garage
I use the Ultimate seat on my Roadstar and have had it for many years. Although it's not cheap, It's the best investment I've made for riding long distances. The biggest positive about the seat, unlike other manufacturers, is you can use it for a month and if not satisfied you can return it for a refund. Seats opinions vary greatly, so finding the one that works best for you can be an expensive challenge. Good Luck!

Also agree with KCW regarding a rider's backrest being a game changer and absolutely necessary for me on long distance rides.

https://ultimateseats.ca/yamaha-moto...-classic-seats
KCW likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:23 PM

Garage
Reading through here and had a question to add in to the mix. Would altering the riding position help this any? Having a little more rise or pullback on your handlebars might help put your tail in a little different position? Or even adding floorboards or a 3" forward foot control set up to put your legs in a slightly different position?
My 1100 took a few rides to get comfy on, and not 100% sure it is a stock seat on it, but having a more relaxed upper body position and ability to move my feet around a bit seem to help me. With risers costing next to nothing to buy and try compared to the multitude of seats out there, it might be an idea to try.

Last edited by AlphaOmega; 05-31-2018 at 03:35 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
...Would altering the riding position help this any? Having a little more rise or pullback on your handlebars might help put your tail in a little different position? ...
This is probably one of the reasons my seat preferences are different than most people's. My Biltwell Chumps are canted forward so that I can lean forward and that allows me to put most of my weight on my sit bones, not the fleshy glutes. It's the way I've been riding motorcycles since day one as well as having been able to cover over a hundred miles in a day on my competition bicycles equipped with hard leather Brooks saddles since the 70s.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:14 PM

There are as many correct answers to this question as there are riders. One thing I can say: don't settle for uncomfortable! On my Royal Star I have 3" risers with 1/2" pullback, oversized bars from a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500, and a Corbin saddle. It's finally about where I want it.
The mustang seat left me not flat-footed at stop signs, but mainly because it was so wide. When it came to riding I could ride all day, but didn't like the stops. The Corbin only works for me because I never have a passenger...it's just a tiny pad on the rear fender. I'm sure they have different models, though.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode