Pipes - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pipes

Hi all. Question for you. I have HK Strippers...and the noise associated headaches that come with 2 hours on the bike. I added the Smartpartz baffles and they're a bit quieter, but I feel like I'm losing some top end. Not that I want to spend money on new pipes, but what differences would I see with the Cobra Classic Deluxe Slashcuts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 04:01 PM

i think the smart partz baffle is the quietest you will be able to go.i think all pipes are straight thru so the decibels are going to be alike
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. Cobra had mentioned on their site that these were quieter than their other pipes. I don't mind loud ( I have a DG-O on my XR650L). I just want my fillings to stay in my head...
Elk and Diogenes415 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 04:51 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Drag-Pipe-M...ss!16511!US!-1 i tried something like these, ebay muffler baffle. i wrapped them and the sound was cut by say 20% but i lost a lot of power.without the wrap there pretty loud.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

my guess is the Cobra pipes would probably be even louder because of the larger tail openings than the HK. but any free flowing straight pipes are going to be comparable in decibels. if you really want something quieter, you're probably going to be looking at a slip-on muffler on the stock exhaust.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roentgenranger View Post
... I don't mind loud ( I have a DG-O on my XR650L). I just want my fillings to stay in my head...
Hahaha... I tried quite a few mods to get the DG slip-on on my DRZ400 to be tolerable at highway speeds but sometimes the stock muffler is the only alternative. Now I'm battling with the slash-cuts on my XVS650 which sound good around town but get obnoxious at WOT or on the highway for hours on end (a reason I wear earplugs). If my baffle mods don't work well with the chrome Baron 2" pipes I recently acquired then I'm going to weld up a 2-1 exhaust from scratch with a Delkevic 350mm can... I'm sick of listening to a couple of slash-cuts that at highway speeds sound like a synched pair of red-lined lawn mowers running on beer and bubba-sweat.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I may just stick with ear plugs. I was just curious as Cobra stated on their page that the ones I was looking at were not as loud as the rest of their line. Anyone have experience with Bubs? I can get a set for a couple hundred bones.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
Hahaha... I tried quite a few mods to get the DG slip-on on my DRZ400 to be tolerable at highway speeds but sometimes the stock muffler is the only alternative. Now I'm battling with the slash-cuts on my XVS650 which sound good around town but get obnoxious at WOT or on the highway for hours on end (a reason I wear earplugs). If my baffle mods don't work well with the chrome Baron 2" pipes I recently acquired then I'm going to weld up a 2-1 exhaust from scratch with a Delkevic 350mm can... I'm sick of listening to a couple of slash-cuts that at highway speeds sound like a synched pair of red-lined lawn mowers running on beer and bubba-sweat.
So you're saying that someone finally found something useful to do with Coors Lite?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 04:49 PM

Garage
i made my own baffles for 2.5 HC pipes i used danco sink drain cups installed in the baffles that came with the pipes and i got the sound i wanted. i had to go from the oem#90 main to a 105 and set the mix screws to 3 out to get it to run the way i wanted

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Bubs are arguably the loudest on the market

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode