Can I cobra slip on without a fuel controller? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By Charlie5320
  • 2 Post By baron58
  • 1 Post By Keith Post
  • 1 Post By oldfart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Can I cobra slip on without a fuel controller?

Hi folks,

I was hoping there are a few riders here who have the Cobra single slip on 2275 without any fuel controllers or ECU flash as I would like to know how it effects the bike, most people say you do not need either the flash or a fuel controller if you only change the pipes or the air intake, but I would of thought a slipon wouldnt need those additions .... but still wondering what if any issues are produced just slipping that muffler on without them, and are there any real concerns? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 07:36 AM

My 09 1300 has a Cobra slip on and NO controller. Don't know if it has been reflashed or not, it was on when I bought the bike. I doubt very much it has been reflashed because it does have some popping on decell. Other than that the bike runs very strong, and I think it sounds great. If you want the most you can get out of the bike, then a reflash or controller may be in order however.
Keith Post and oldfart like this.

2009 V Star 1300, with 11,000 miles. Solo bike with a Med shield and Cobra slip on exhaust.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 09:05 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
Hi folks,

I was hoping there are a few riders here who have the Cobra single slip on 2275 without any fuel controllers or ECU flash as I would like to know how it effects the bike, most people say you do not need either the flash or a fuel controller if you only change the pipes or the air intake, but I would of thought a slipon wouldnt need those additions .... but still wondering what if any issues are produced just slipping that muffler on without them, and are there any real concerns? Thanks

You don't need a fuel controller or flash with he slip on, but you may want one.

The stock muffler silences the poping and backfiring which the slip on will not. These bikes have something called "Fuel Cut" Fuel cut literally shuts the fuel injectors OFF when you let of the throttle above basically idle RPM while riding, that is why the bikes have heavy engine braking when you shit because when you back off the throttle to shift the engine is basically shut off. This is great for emissions but causes the A/F mixture to get over-lean in the exhaust and explode causing the popping. Stock muffler systems on cars and motorcycles mute this pretty effectively. Fuel controllers simply run the mixture over rich which minimizes but won't completely 100% eliminate popping. The Ivan flash does many things, Ignition, Fuel, throttle mapping and disables fuel cut.
Mrdub and oldfart like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 02:50 PM

Garage
Itís very true if youíre only running a slipon, you wonít have to have a FMS or your ECU re-flashed. However if you want more, the most significant mod is an open air filter kit, and thereís a bunch of them out there, but youíll need an FMS system or your ECU re-flashed. They come extremely lean from the assembly line to pass California emissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldfart likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies, I have ordered the cobra slipon.
I also found a mod on this forum that shows how to add another baffle inside the cobra baffle to mute the muffler a little more, personally I am hoping this mod might help with the backfiring as well on a bike without a fuel controller or remap......

I had a remap on my previous Stryker (cobra air and V&H staggereds) and I was not happy with it at all for various reasons but that was a local Aussie remap not Ivans who I know has done much research and development into his maps for both these machines.......

on a side note I believe the OEM maps for the stryker and xvs1300A are different as they have different part numbers for the ECU.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode