Just changed clutch - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Just changed clutch

Just changed friction plates on my 2004 VStar 1100 Silverado. All came apart smoothly as well as re-assembly, making sure everything was installed in the correct direction and order. Went to start it and the starter is acting like it is binding and getting very warm. Won’t spin over enough to start the bike? I just rode it 150 Miles just hours before with no starter issues. Problem only presented itself after changing the friction plates. Could this be an adjustment issue? With bike in neutral it rolls freely and wouldn’t think there would be any resistance on the starter? And ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:22 AM

Garage
If it's rolling in neutral without drag the adjustment should be close. Check the battery and cables. With a meter should be 12.4 or higher. If it drops to 10 or less when you engage the starter, the battery went south. If battery test good, check both ends of both cables for tightest and corrosion. It doesn't take much for full power not to go thru. Keep us posted.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 11:45 AM
KCW

Garage
try rolling the bike in 2nd gear with the clutch pulled in - it should be harder than duckwalking it in neutral, but unless the clutch is stuck you should be able to.

BTW, don't push it backwards in gear - you don't want the timing chain spinning in the wrong direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

I’ll check the battery and cables again. Just put the old clutch friction plates back in to see if the problem changed and it didn’t. Seems odd that there would be a battery issue when I was just ridding it and all I did was change the clutch disks. Also tried jump starting it off a battery box and nothing. Starter is hot as hell too.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 02:12 PM

Garage
check the starter clutch assembly might be stuck.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 03:26 PM
KCW

Garage
If the starter is having trouble spinning the engine over, it might be a good idea to take off the quarter size cover on the crankshaft (its on the left side on my 650) that you use to rotate the engine to adjust the valves, put a wrench on the crankshaft and make sure it turns normally.

Only turn it clockwise (on the left side of the bike) because Vstar motors spin backwards (the opposite direction as the front wheel) and you don't want the timing chain to go slack from spinning it backwards.

The engine should turn over easily with one hand on a 3/8" ratchet drive, until you hit the compression stroke on one piston or the other. Its possible you got something messed up in the clutch assembly and its dragging the engine down.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Follow up... This is ugly kids, so shield your eyes while reading this. When installing the engine case cover after the clutch replacement I misplaced a longer bolt where a shorter bolt should have been installed, directly over the forward facing cam gear. The bolt was tightened enough to drag and gouge the cam gear all the way around while not allowing the engine to turn over fast enough to start. Corrected the error and installed the correct length bolts. Bike fires right up, clutch works like a champ but there is a severe vibration and whirling sound in the motor. Upon inspection tonight, I have found 2 broken teeth on the cam gear that apparently struck the bolt rubbing the cam gear. Never been so disgusted with myself to say the least. Ow does anyone know if the cam gear cam be removed with the engine in the bike or without complete motor disassembly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	185FF94F-FC01-4453-907E-51E64361C08D_1529713011138.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	81004   Click image for larger version

Name:	BF9F5F60-1B45-4543-A0F0-00C7C40756BD_1529713045976.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	81006  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 08:32 PM

Garage
That's a real bummer. Unfortunately I can not answer your gear guestion. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Please keep us informed on the fix.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 09:20 PM
KCW

Garage
that's rough - I always worry when taking out bolts that are different sizes, and there are several assemblies like that on these bikes. You are not the first guy to get bolts in the wrong place.

The photos seem to show only part of the teeth chipped off. If the gears are still meshing Im not sure where the whirling sound or vibration would be coming from. Its possible the bolt put a heavy thrust load on the bearings on that gear and messed up the bearings on that gear shaft. It doesn't take much end play for things to start sliding against each other that are not suppose to be touching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode