Riser question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Riser question

I ordered a set of 4.5" risers for my bike (VStar1100 Classic) from China and they arrived yesterday. I know, I know - Chinese junk, but I'm not sure if I'll like them or not so I figured it would be better to toss out $40 before spending $150.

Anyway, they actually look quite nice so I was anxious to try them out. I took my handlebars off, then one of the risers. This is where I stopped. The stock ones have a stud with a thicker shank that works as a bushing where it goes through the triple tree. The ones I got have no stud, just a threaded hole. My question is, does this stud come out of the stock riser or will have to use something else? If so, will a bolt work or do I need to find something to use as a bushing? First time doing this so any advice would be welcome.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:12 PM

Garage
Use just bolt. I also got some of the ones off eBay. If memory is right minecwere a 1/2 by 13. Don't remember length. Been on 3 years. Love them. No issues or concerns. On mine I didn't like how tight the brake line was and loosened the top fitting slightly and rotated cable so it pointed down. If you just loosen enough to rotate you don't need to bleed brakes. Make sure you tighten the clamp on bars pretty tight. At first I didn't have mine tight enough and bars rotated slightly first time I hit brakes hard and my weight shifted to bars. It was a pucker moment. Post some pictures when you get them on.

Keith Post likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:16 PM

Garage
Forget to mention, use large flat washer between bolt and bushing in triple tree. The bushing is rubber, if you just use bolt you can tear into bushing with bolt head and you can't tighten good.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Garage
Zoom in on picture and you can see head on bolt and washer going up into riser.

Les B.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks les, appreciate it. Good tip on the washer. One other thing, mine aren't round like yours - they're more rectangular and don't quite fit inside the hole where the bushing is. Any idea if I'll run into issues with vibration or anything else if I just use another big washer on top too? I suppose I could grind down the corners a bit so it would sit down on the bushing if I had to, but I'd rather not do that.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:27 PM

Garage
I've seen the type you have and it's not an issue. They just sit on top of the hole. My friend has them and work good. If it was me I would try to find a chrome washer. I don't like the look of seeing the whole around the sides of riser. But that's me. This is the set he has.

Les B.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's the ones I have. Once again, appreciate the help. I'll post a pic when they're installed.
lesblank likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 06:49 PM

Garage
Forgot to mention, don't to final tightening on riser bottom bolt till you have bars on. If not the bar hole on riser might be 100% square to bars. Hope that made sense. I put some medium locktite on bottom riser bolts. Wouldn't be good for bolts to loosen up, mine were course thread, and bars coming off in hand. 😨

Les B.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, got them on and wow, it feels like a different bike! Much more comfortable riding position. My arms aren't stretched out straight anymore. I watched a YouTube video and he explained about tightening the riser bolts last so I knew about that. Good idea about the Loctite too. Mine are also coarse thread. Here are the promised pics (trying imgBB so bear with me if they don't work - lol):

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did have to reroute the clutch and choke cables behind the triple tree but otherwise all went fairly smooth.
lesblank likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode