Trailer hitch for 1300T. Is there such a thing? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Trailer hitch for 1300T. Is there such a thing?

I would like to add a trailer hitch to my bike. I've seen these on bike touring bikes like the Goldwings.
Is there a hitch made for a V-Star 1300?

-Mike
2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe, Bag guards and trim rails, Custom Dynamic LED tail/turn, Signal Dynamics BackOff module, Pathblazer headlight strobe, Yamaha Passing Lamps, E.D. Pass seat. Memphis Shades lowers, O2 sensor by-pass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 02:02 PM
KCW

Garage
check the owners manual and see what it says about towing a trailer with your bike.

Some motorcycle manuals specifically state 'this bike is not designed for towing a trailer'. The MSF also recommends against it.

I know a lot of riders pull trailers, but it is one of the easiest ways to get yourself in trouble on a MS. It completely changes the way a motorcycle handles on curves and when braking, and there is nothing positive about the changes.

Last edited by KCW; 06-07-2018 at 02:23 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My interest in the hitch is not really to tow a trailer in the traditional sense.

As odd as this may sound, I want to tow my 42 gallon RV waste tote with my bike from the RV site to the dump station on the campground.

When I'm camping my built-in gray-water tank fills up pretty fast, so normally I would need to move my RV to the dump station, empty the tank, then go back to site and setup again. So I bought a "Tote" that I can off load the gray water into. Then you take the Tote to the dump station. The concept works pretty well, but walking the Tote across the camp ground can be tough (it can weigh up to 300 lbs full). The tote has a sort of hitch connection to pull behind a golf cart or such. I happen to bring my motorcycle with me when I camp. So I was asking about motorcycle hitches.

I may rethink this due to the high cost of buying a hitch and the limited number of times I would use it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	80860  

-Mike
2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe, Bag guards and trim rails, Custom Dynamic LED tail/turn, Signal Dynamics BackOff module, Pathblazer headlight strobe, Yamaha Passing Lamps, E.D. Pass seat. Memphis Shades lowers, O2 sensor by-pass.

Last edited by CountryB; 06-07-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
When I purchased my V Star 1300, the original owner had the dealer install a hitch from https://www.hitchdoc.com/. He towed with it for quite a few years w/o incident. I have not had a chance to use it, yet. He and his wife camped and the trailer he towed carried all of their camping gear.

NCDaveD

2008 Yamaha V Star 1300 Black Cherry
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. That is the site I have been looking at.
But, boy those hitches are expensive. I think I will just tough it out and manually pull my tote when needed.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:59 PM
KCW

Garage
I would rather put a lawn mower engine on the tote
than pull sewage around with my vstar...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
LOL. Good point!
I didn't see it that way until now.

These bikes are too nice to be used for pulling a sh** wagon. To even suggest it - sounds like the start of a good fight

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode