ECU Flash on 1300 V Star Tourer - Worth it? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

ECU Flash on 1300 V Star Tourer - Worth it?

Hi,

I'm a brand new rider and am wandering about Ivan's ECU Flash. I read a lot on it and spoke with his office. It seems it would be a great thing to smooth out the throttle because of the fuel cutout. I have a 2013 model.

I'd like to know what everyone thinks. Is it worth the $350. Especially given I am a brand new rider. I am concerned more about smoothness and driveability more than increasing the power.

I don't see myself adding an intake but like the idea of the Cobra Slip On 2275.

Thanks for your input.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1056.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	80862  
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:26 PM

just unplug your O2 sensor, will not rid all the low speed jerkiness but helps a lot and the Cobra slip on you will have about 90% better drive ability. I drilled my stock muffler first and is a waste of time. just my opinion. check out 2 FB groups for 1300 and the Deluxe. lots of info on both.
Keith Post likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 09:38 PM

Garage
If youíre going to do the ECU flash, Iíd recommend the open air filter kit. That was the most noticeable improvement on my 950 tourer. The cobra slipon gave me a little more grunt and better exhaust tone, but the intake was the best. It took out all the hesitation, I didnít do the flash but I did add a fuel management system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapiti1 View Post
just unplug your O2 sensor, will not rid all the low speed jerkiness but helps a lot and the Cobra slip on you will have about 90% better drive ability. I drilled my stock muffler first and is a waste of time. just my opinion. check out 2 FB groups for 1300 and the Deluxe. lots of info on both.
I researched the surging, jerking and fuel issues after adding a full system to this bike and whether the Cobra slipon suffered the same fate on all the usual spots like google, youtube and FB but no one said there was an issue if you just used the "slipon" but ....... you are saying that there will be a surge/miss/jerking which will still require a fuel controller or flash ...... I am disappointed to say the least, I want the noise but really don't want all those low speed issues I found them dangerous around town.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:05 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I do not agree with unplugging the o2 sensor without Ivans flash (or someone flashing it) That puts the computer into a failsafe mode. It can make the bike run rich, which will stop the lean surge that they tend to have, but it can cause other issues. I would highly recommend the Ivan flash. If you are going to do a high flow intake and exhaust do it at the same time and make sure you let Ivan know which one you are putting on. Ivan sells a lot of the same stuff. I had him do a "mailorder" flash on my bike. On a whim I threw her on the Dyno. The numbers with AF were damn near dead on. I was very happy to see that. Good luck.
Keith Post likes this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 AM

speaking of ECU flashes and fuel controllers for air and pipes, I had a harley that I put a big air kit and pipes on but instead of using a fuel controller/dyno to richen up the mix I purchased a Nightrider module that plugged in between the oxy sensor and the ecu this just fooled the ecu into riching up the mixture by 5% or so and only cost around $120 though didnt add any more power nor take away any OEM restrictions the way a ECU flash would but it certainly protected the investment, so I was wondering if there was something like this for the japanese market?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 08:32 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
speaking of ECU flashes and fuel controllers for air and pipes, I had a harley that I put a big air kit and pipes on but instead of using a fuel controller/dyno to richen up the mix I purchased a Nightrider module that plugged in between the oxy sensor and the ecu this just fooled the ecu into riching up the mixture by 5% or so and only cost around $120 though didnt add any more power nor take away any OEM restrictions the way a ECU flash would but it certainly protected the investment, so I was wondering if there was something like this for the japanese market?
There are. I have never used one so I do not have an opinion on them either way.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

I decided to order the Cobra Slip On 2275 for now and see how it responds. I may still go ahead with Ivan's ECU Flash. Either way I'm excited about the bike and riding!!!
Keith Post, Elk, Mystsin and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 06:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnakers123 View Post
Hi,

I'm a brand new rider and am wandering about Ivan's ECU Flash. I read a lot on it and spoke with his office. It seems it would be a great thing to smooth out the throttle because of the fuel cutout. I have a 2013 model.

I'd like to know what everyone thinks. Is it worth the $350. Especially given I am a brand new rider. I am concerned more about smoothness and driveability more than increasing the power.

I don't see myself adding an intake but like the idea of the Cobra Slip On 2275.

Thanks for your input.

John
Ivan's flash is not for power like most mistakenly assume, it is for smoothness and ride-ability. A open air intake and exhaust is where you will see the increase in power. The Flash does these things:

1. Advances the ignition timing throughout the power band. This helps eliminate the surging and lack of torque at lower RPM's. This also allows the engine to run cooler and produces less heat and vibration.
2. Adjusts the throttle mapping for a smoother roll on instead of the ON/OFF behavior of the throttle
3. Enriches and leans the fuel tables/maps as needed. Results in more power in the lower RPM range and runs the A/F at the correct range instead of the over lean factory condition.
4. Disables "fuel cut" Fuel cut is an EPA mandate to have the fuel injectors turn of every time you let off the throttle above a certain RPM (Idle). This causes hard deceleration, backfiring and popping when using less restrictive exhaust.
5. Allows the radiator fan to come on at a lower temp to promote better cooling during stop and go.

The Ivan' flash is the best mod you can get for a V Star or any of the fuel injected bikes he works on. After the flash you have to re-learn the bike because it is completely different in a great way.
Mystsin likes this.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

6. raises the rev limiter for each gear

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode