I'm a brand new rider and am wandering about Ivan's ECU Flash. I read a lot on it and spoke with his office. It seems it would be a great thing to smooth out the throttle because of the fuel cutout. I have a 2013 model.
I'd like to know what everyone thinks. Is it worth the $350. Especially given I am a brand new rider. I am concerned more about smoothness and driveability more than increasing the power.
I don't see myself adding an intake but like the idea of the Cobra Slip On 2275.
Thanks for your input.
Ivan's flash is not for power like most mistakenly assume, it is for smoothness and ride-ability. A open air intake and exhaust is where you will see the increase in power. The Flash does these things:
1. Advances the ignition timing throughout the power band. This helps eliminate the surging and lack of torque at lower RPM's. This also allows the engine to run cooler and produces less heat and vibration.
2. Adjusts the throttle mapping for a smoother roll on instead of the ON/OFF behavior of the throttle
3. Enriches and leans the fuel tables/maps as needed. Results in more power in the lower RPM range and runs the A/F at the correct range instead of the over lean factory condition.
4. Disables "fuel cut" Fuel cut is an EPA mandate to have the fuel injectors turn of every time you let off the throttle above a certain RPM (Idle). This causes hard deceleration, backfiring and popping when using less restrictive exhaust.
5. Allows the radiator fan to come on at a lower temp to promote better cooling during stop and go.
The Ivan' flash is the best mod you can get for a V Star or any of the fuel injected bikes he works on. After the flash you have to re-learn the bike because it is completely different in a great way.