Big Air Kit or just a better filter? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By oldfart
  • 1 Post By Keith Post
  • 2 Post By bevo1981
  • 1 Post By bevo1981
  • 1 Post By dobrien
  • 1 Post By Mystsin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Big Air Kit or just a better filter?

I was wondering if I could get the same benefit of a big air kit If I just used a different air filter or mod the original airbox or both and would it be as good?

Or is there anyone who makes adaptor plates to use Harley intakes on the xvss1300
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by oldfart; 06-09-2018 at 07:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Garage
Before I added the open air filter kit on my 950, I modded the factory box. Slight improvement, barely noticeable. After the open air filter kit, big difference. Just remember our bikes come very lean from the factory to meet California EPA standards. The more air you let in and out, the better the performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldfart likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

most aftermarket air intakes will be an improvement over stock because they are designed to let more air into the intake. so unless you completely remove your stock box completely exposing the air filter, you're probably not going to get as much of a gain as you would an aftermarket one.
Keith Post and oldfart like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 02:19 AM Thread Starter

I figured that was going to be the case, but I was hoping it was the air filter itself that restricted the air intake..... anyway I shall see if I can get some sort of adaptor plate made up to accomodate some of the cheaper harley style air filter knock offs ..... with that in mind would someone be able to tell me if the air intakes of Stryker 1300 and the xvs1300A models are the same as I have seen a stryker owner has made one up and I might be able to get him to make me one up as well.
Again thanks for the help fellas
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

upgrading your air filter and modding your stock airbox will definitely help bring in more clean air, but it's still going to be restricted by the stock design.
oldfart likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 AM

I just put K&n pods more air no restrictions and worked good but also jetted carbs
oldfart likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:53 PM

Garage
I put the Baron Big Air Intake on my 1300, and It made a HUGE difference in power and response. When I took the stock cone of silence off and put the open breather on, I could hear the difference in the exhaust and feel the difference in the ride. I will have to give the same advise I was given when I did it, invest in the Ivan's Flash for your ECU if you do change out your air intake. You will not regret it.
oldfart likes this.

Life is short and we have never too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us. Oh, be swift to love, make haste to be kind. ~ Henri Frédéric Amiel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode