Custom Dynamics Universal Tail/brake light - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By rn2god
  • 1 Post By mikearc095

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Custom Dynamics Universal Tail/brake light

So I reached out to Custom Dynamics to see if they made a tail/brake light cluster for my 2009 vstar 650. Turns out that they do not, as the shape of the light changed at some point for the 650. However, they offered up a direct base LED cluster that simply fits in the 1157 socket and will work as stock but be much brighter than a bulb. However, when I received it I realized that this is a socket that is attached via wires to a cluster and that the cluster must be taped - yes taped - to the stock lens or reflector somehow in order to work. (see pic). Has anyone done this and if so how long does the cluster stick to the tape before falling off? I don't want hope that my tail light tape is working - it seems like a failure waiting to happen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180612_065311.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	80922  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:24 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

If it does not have the HD emblem on it they know NOTHING about it. I went to Thunder Beach and wanted one of the tag light brackets for the Raider. They do free install of all their products in their tent. When I said it was a Raider the person walked away. So I went up to the sales person my wife was talking to and asked him about the install. He looked down his nose at me and said all they do installs on is HD they do not know any other bike. I snapped and said "There are other bikes besides HD out there.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai

Last edited by bevo1981; 06-12-2018 at 01:36 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
If it does not have the HD emblem on it they know NOTHING about it. I went to Thunder Beach and wanted one of the tag light brackets for the Raider. They do free install of all their products in their tent. When I said it was a Raider the person walked away. So I went up to the sales person my wife was talking to and asked him about the install. He looked down his nose at me and said all they do installs on is HD they do not know any other bike. I snapped and said "There are other FCKN bikes besides HD out there.
Yeah, I wish I had known this before I bought the light. Now I'm just hoping that they'll eat the shipping back to them. We'll see.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:26 PM

Garage
Iím surprised that Custom Dynamics sold you an inferior product. Iíve dealt with them in the past and was very satisfied with them. Iíd suggest looking into the triple whammy rear lighting kit for your 650. Makes you a lot more visible especially at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 10:16 AM

Garage
I have the triple-whammy kit from kuryakyn on my 08 1100 and it works great. Full disclosure: I also ordered a led brake light board from CD that's for the 1100, surprised that they don't have one for the 650.

https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/73...rake-light-kit
Keith Post likes this.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 06:59 AM

I had the same ones on my 2004 Vulcan took them off the Vulcan and now have them my vstar 950. They work fine. I did have one blow on the front and I sent the 2 of them to CD and they replaced them free of charge. They are great to deal with and they stand by their product. I had them for 4+years before they blew.
BTW I had made a spacer out of rigid insulation and wrapped it in Metal Duct tape to take up the slack in the indicator housing.
All my led's are CD!!!

John

2009 Tommy Blue 950
Bought June 3 2014 with 1,340 km
V&H Twin Slash Round SlipOn
Cobra Sissy Bar
3.5 X 1.5 pullback risers
HD Heritage Handlebars
Custom World Drivers Backrest (modified)
Barons SS Throttle Cables, Clutch Cable and Brake Lines
Tsukayu Fairing with strereo and 6" speakers
OEM Saddlebags
Kuryakyn Iso Grips/w Bar Ends and Throttle Assist
Custom Dynamics indicators and taillight
Superbright LED's 2" Mini Aux Lights
Fiamm air horn
Mustang 2pc Touring Seat[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode