Finally put some miles on my bike. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By Dabluz
  • 3 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Yamaha Pat
  • 2 Post By Dabluz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Finally put some miles on my bike.

Late last fall, I bought a 1999 V-Star 650 Classic. I fell sick and could not ride before winter came. A couple of weeks ago, I finally got the bike out of the shed and have been polishing up a bit etc etc. Finally today, I took the bike out for a spin. It was scary because I had not ridden a bike for a long while and I had to ride on a gravel road. It was loose gravel and the front wheel did slide a bit until I got to the asphalte. My bike performed perfectly. It has less than 20,000 km (12000 miles) so everything is tight, no strange noises, transmission nice and crisp, great brakes but one mirror was loose. I find the windshield a bit high but it can be adjusted lower. I was expecting more vibration but that was not the case. Anyway, I was nervous. The exhaust noise is perfect and I hear it very well when I turn my head. I see no need for more noise. I got a bit sloppy and crossed the double line in a curve. Feels great to ride again. Feels weird having the foot pegs so far forward and I still have a habit of using my left foot for braking (I mostly rode English Bikes).
Keith Post, lesblank, KCW and 1 others like this.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:20 PM
KCW

Garage
Unless you are planning on tearing up the highways at > 100km/hr, take the windshield off.

The 650 is a totally different bike with it on and off. I dont put mine on unless I will be riding 70mph or more on the thruway or interstate highways.

The 650 is a small enough bike that a windshield sucks the life out of the ride. It will go 140km/hr just fine with it on, when you need it.

Remember to countersteer. When I have not been riding for a while I tend to try to steer the bike like a car - not so much around corners, but if there is a manhole or bump in the road, if a dont have a second think about it, I run it right over.

After about 5 hours on the bike in the spring it all becomes second nature again. Your bike will take curves and lean over very well, you just gotta push harder on the grips to get those big fat tires to lean in.
Keith Post, lesblank and Mrdub like this.

Last edited by KCW; 06-12-2018 at 09:24 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:43 PM

Heck of a start on loose gravel and you ride a Yamaha of course everything is tight. LOL Welcome to the forum.
Keith Post likes this.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have to adjust the windshield so I will probably take it off to see how it feels. My British bikes did not have windshields and the wind never bothered me. In the 60's and 70's, things like windshields were unheard of. The windshield on my bike is like new. When I was polishing my bike, I did find a few slight bumps but that's ok....it's almost 20 years old.
Keith Post and KCW like this.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:45 AM

Garage
Glad to see you were able to get back out on the road again. Iím sure it was a tad nerve racking but like les said, itíll become second nature shortly. Every mile you put on will be a confidence builder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode