bike acting strange, need some help! calling all v star gurus - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

bike acting strange, need some help! calling all v star gurus

hey all, i have been searching the forums for a week now, but cant seem to find answers i need, have seen some others with similar problems but not helping, i got the bike back in dec, bone stock felt like a slug to me (had a 954 before this) had some backfiring going on but didnt really mind it much, i took the bike apart, added an ebay no brand spike air intake, took the mufflers off and just running open pipes, got a barons jet kit (yes i know wasted money, just used the jets from the kit not the needles) the jet kit said to run a 115 jet in cylinder #2 (front) where stock was 112, and a 112 in cylinder 1 (rear) where stock was 110 for aftermarket air intake and exhaust, set the pms screws out 4 and a quarter turns while the kit says 4 turns out but it seemed a little lean so i backed it out a quarter more then recommened, changed spark plugs, and fuel filter, started right up took it for a ride, been running a week now ( a little iffy) all of sudden it cuts off on me while riding, at first it wound never start with the advanced throttle on, sometimes it sounds like its on only one cylinder right before it dies or after starting after it dies, then sounds like both kick in, and i hear like a bubbling sound? from in the tank or motor cant really tell, but when i first start her up and ride shes fine, but seems hesitant as i go through the gears..this thing is starting to drive me crazy. .any ideas? once i was done building it everything seemed fine, until one day after the rain cleared up i started it let it warm up and as soon as i would give any throttle it would cut off, i started it today, went riding everything seemed fine, stop for a pizza got back on and it died while i was riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:31 PM

Garage
From my experience 4+ turns out on pms is way too much if jetted correctly and carbs are 100% clean. The spike air cleaners are close to impossible to jet for all speeds. The faster you go the more air being forced into carbs causing a lean condition. At lower speed less air means rich. I would suggest a good Carb cleaning and especially the small holes in side of pilot jets. If you keep the spike air cleaner, pick a mph you want the bike to run right. Jet up to that. Get it to where the PMS screws are two turns out. It will still be rich at lower speeds and lean on higher speeds but should run. If I sound negative I don't mean too. I've seen way too many fight with the spike intake for ever and only get them to run right at one mph. Keep us informed.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 10:48 AM

My 1100 had the Barons BAK and yeah, the kit advises to turn out the PMS 4 full turns. I didn't like the feel of the PMSs screwed out that much... it felt like they could vibrate loose and drop out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:33 AM

The bubbling sound is what stands out to me here. Itís possible the tank isnít venting correctly and youíre simply running out of gas from the vacuum in the tank... you should check that out because if it isnít venting it could suck a big dent in the tank.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback, carbs are definitely 100 percent clean, soaked all parts in chum dip overnight, as far as the pilot jets i used new ones that came with the kit, the air kit came with two main jets but they are not numbered so i really didn't want to use them, isn't 2 turns out pretty much stock setting? since i turned it back more it's not backfiring as bad, first and second gear feel great, third i gotta get more on the throttle to pick up bit sounds funny. after i posted my question yesterday, i went out riding til 3am was out for 6 hours pretty cool night, parking once in a while to smoke or drink, did not cut off on me not once, seems to run better in cooler weather.. btw i also forgot to mention i haven't had a chance to get the carbs synced, don't know anyone with a manometer around here
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 12:48 PM

Garage
2 snapple bottles, trany fluid, clear tubing and some chair foot things...easy DIY manometer. Also need a tachometer, which you can pick up a cheap one from places like Ace, Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, Lowes. Just ask for a tachometer/hour meter. Lead wire wraps around the plug wire, and find a ground is all.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 12:49 PM

If it were me, based solely on my experience tuning my carbs on my 650 for a hypercharger, I would put the stock pilot jets back in. Then I would put the PMS screw at about 2 to 2 1/2 turns. I would probably ride it, if possible, and adjust the PMS from there until it stops popping on closed throttle decel while noting if I thought it was lean or rich on mid to WOT and start shimming the needles and/or replacing main jets. Of course it may not go according to that plan when I got into it, but it would get me on my way I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode