v-star 1300 clutch - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

v-star 1300 clutch

Although the clutch is adjusted properly the transmission seems to clash when putting the bike in 1st gear.
The bike seems to want to creep when in gear with the clutch leaver is pulled.
What could be the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 08:26 AM

Garage
When you say clash, do you mean clunk? Also is it much worse when it is cold?

The bike will always want to move forward even with the clutch pulled, because the clutch is a wet clutch meaning oil is used to cool it. Oil will create enough drag to cause the bike to want to move forward.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Clunk would be a word that would describe the sound. It seems harsh. The fact you can drive with the clutch leave pulled seems wrong. I am using Lucas oil which will coat the plates and might be why the bike wants to creep. I use Lucas in my 650 v-star and my 1100 Varigo although a lighter grade they don't creep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 01:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMark View Post
Clunk would be a word that would describe the sound. It seems harsh. The fact you can drive with the clutch leave pulled seems wrong. I am using Lucas oil which will coat the plates and might be why the bike wants to creep. I use Lucas in my 650 v-star and my 1100 Varigo although a lighter grade they don't creep.

The bike shouldn't drive with the clutch pulled in, but there will be drag on it from the oil especially if it is cold.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

warm or cold no difference. I am wondering if one of the clutch plates has peeled off and is doubling up and causing extra friction. I have not had this clutch apart. the bike has 93,000 kilometers (55,000 miles) on it. What would clutch life normally be?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMark View Post
warm or cold no difference. I am wondering if one of the clutch plates has peeled off and is doubling up and causing extra friction. I have not had this clutch apart. the bike has 93,000 kilometers (55,000 miles) on it. What would clutch life normally be?
The clutch life directly depends on the operator, could be 100K miles or 2K miles. I would make sure the clutch cable is actually pulling the clutch, many clutch cables go bad and stretch and fail due to improper lubrication.

Also usually when the clutch goes bad, you get no engagement.

With all being said, all these bikes clunk when putting them into gear, that is because there is oil drag on the clutch plates and these transmissions do not use synchronizes. Also it is 100% normal for the bike to lurch forward when starting it with the clutch pulled. That is why the manual says to start it in neutral.

Last edited by baron58; 06-17-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode