Upgraded starter motor??? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fd757
  • 1 Post By fd757

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Upgraded starter motor???

Is there an updated starter motor for the V-Star 1100? Year 2002.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:04 AM

Garage
I'm pretty sure they changed them - I think on the 2004 models (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I believe they strengthened the bolts to prevent them twisting and putting strain on the starter clutch. I've watched YouTube videos about changing the starter clutch and there are upgraded kits available for that as well. Since the engines on our bikes remained virtually unchanged for the entire production run I can't see any reason why the upgraded starter wouldn't work on the older bikes.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 10:16 AM

Garage
I believe it was the 03 model, but it was right there...03 or 04 either way. They did some work on the inside so that it could handle the kickback of the motor better with less risk of internal damage to the starter. I would have to do some more digging to get the tech specs. Trying to find one online is a pain because most sites list both part numbers or that it fits between all the year's and usually says "upgraded" or something like that. Which is true, 02 will fit an 08 and vice versa with both fitting and working 100%.

Is the body twisted? Or internals fried? Or just planning ahead? Starter spinning, but motor not engaging?

P/N 5EL-81890-01-00 - 03-09
P/N 5EL-81890-00-00 - 99-02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oh I am in the throws of changing out my starter clutch and thinking "Oh No, what if this doesn't solve the problem." I want to know where to get the starter motor if needs be. I am a bit frustrated with the motorcycle at the moment. First my Regulator/rectifier, two fried batteries, and now the starter clutch. It is a bit painful on the pocket book and trying to keep peace with the Mrs.
Scrumdown likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fd757 View Post
It is a bit painful on the pocket book and trying to keep peace with the Mrs.
That was the reason they (wife & daughter) did not get me much for Father's Day. To quote the wife... "You have spent whatever you spent on the bike. Happy Father's day gifts."

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 02:30 PM

Garage
FD, can you remind us what the symptoms of the bike are again? Is it not starting at all? Starter spinning, but not firing? Starter spinning, but motor not turning over? I remember you were concerned on the clunk on shut down. I haven't fired up the 1100 in a little while, but the Raider has a clunk noise. Think these are just inherent motorcycle things. Probably car also, but the motor of them is farther away and covered up and thicker...so can't tell noises the same as when your tail bones are right on the motor.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I just replaced my starter clutch. It was bad in there. The spragues were pretty nasty looking. I am going to get the oil warm and change the oil and filter again. Oh well. Hope it all works out, but I am curious how loose the oil pump chain should be. I am going to try to upload a video. Thank you.
Scrumdown likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 02:09 PM

Garage
FD, that is a rough job on changing out the starter clutch. Did you get the "upgraded' one with the extra support bushings? For the starter on mine, I took it apart, cleaned it up and put it back together, just been careful about starting process and making sure the tune was good on the bike to help things out. The body bolts on the starter, the long ones the run the length of it should be straight. If they are very twisted or something, then I would look hard for a replacement. If they are still in line, then you should have a bit of time to track down another starter.
Unfortunately I don't have any advice on the oil pump chain.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes it was a rough job, but I had a Millwright helping me, so it was no problem for him. "Just Parts" he said to me. It was a bit daunting to me, but he knew what he was doing. He studied it out and everything. I did get a beefier clutch than the OEM one, so we should be good for awhile. There were metal shavings everywhere, so we cleansed it out the best we could and I will be changing oil and filter again in a few hundred miles. I hope I am done with repairs for a long time. Thanks for you consideration on these mounting situations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode