62 mi/gal - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By Dabluz
  • 1 Post By Diogenes415

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
62 mi/gal

I finally got to do some riding on my V-Star 650. I tanked up the bike and 272 km later I tanked her up again. It took 12 liters of gas to fill her up. When everything was converted, I got 62 miles per imperial gallon. Most of the riding was at 55 to 65 mph. No city driving. My bike has a full sized windshield that comes up to my eyes. I will lower it to see if I like it that way. I may even remove it to see what it's like. It's a 19 year old bike but the windshield is flawless and no distortion.

It has been a long while since I last did any riding and my old body feels it. In the past few days, I guess I have driven about 500 km. I removed the leather saddle bags but I will have to put them back on. There is always something I need (lining for the jacket, rain suit, clean rags, windshield cleaner and polish, gloves, etc etc) but there is no place to carry it without the bags. The place I rode to today is about 70 miles away and there are no restaurants, or snack bars or gas stations along the way. However, the scenery is breathtaking.
Keith Post, Elk, KCW and 2 others like this.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:33 AM

So that's about 52 miles per US gallon... sounds right for 55-65 mph.
Keith Post likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:49 AM
KCW

Garage
I looked up your location before and you are definitely in the Great White North. Do you have cell phone coverage in the areas where you ride?

I have gotten 62 miles per US gallon riding secondary roads on my stock 650, averaging 50 to 55mph. With the windshield on the bike at 75mph it dropped to 48mpg.

Dont remember if you posted your age, Im 60 and dont like riding my 650 at all without some kind of back rest support. First time I strapped a SeaBag full of gear on the passenger seat, and was able to lean back into it, I was hooked.

There is a little storage compartment on the left side - opposite the battery compartment, that is big enough for a can of soda and maybe a sandwich, but not much more. For a while I was sticking an insulated lunch bag behind my backrest with super-magnets (to the fender), but that was sketchy, so I got the trunk (photo in my garage section)

← garage photos

The 650 is a very reliable bike, not many parts that can fail.

Some people here always demand photos - I have a lot of camera equipment, but came to realized years ago you can do something, or you can photograph it, but you cant do both. I take a few photos when I have a chance, but I hardly ever stop the bike to go back and take pictures - so Im not going to photo-shame you :^)

Last edited by KCW; 06-21-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did most of my riding along the Saguenay River. On the north side of the river from Chicoutimi to Tadoussac. Cell phone coverage has been increased in the past couple of years but it is still sketchy. I'm 71 and luckily, I have no back or leg problems. I felt no pain anywhere when riding these past 2 weeks. I find that I grip the handles too hard and my hands get a bit numb but I do that when driving a car too. The bike is smooth and is plenty fast for me. There were a few times yesterday when I was going a bit over 120 km/h. I was expecting to get about 40 mi/gal. When riding when I was younger, gas mileage never cropped up in the conversation. I had my cell phone with me yesterday but I should have brought along my camera too. The scenery is really incredible. All the lakes are full of speckled trout and the Ste-Marguerite river that flows along the highway is a world class Atlantic salmon river. The whole length of this highway is extremely popular with bikers and tourists. At Tadoussac, you can take the ferry (free) to cross to the south side of the Saguenay river and ride back to Chicoutimi through another stretch of spectacular scenery. For riders who are not in a hurry, the whole trip takes a day.....maybe 250 km total. The Saguenay river is the only "fjord" in N.America. You rarely get a glimpse of it when on the highway but there are little villages just off both highways that sit at the river's edge. Great places to use your French speaking skills. Few people up here speak English.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 10:06 PM

Garage
that's about the best a 650 can do, i usually get 50 mpg on mine as long as i keep it under 70, it drops dramatically after 70, the lowest i ever got was 41 mpg riding like a maniac in the hills

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode