touring Trunk 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

touring Trunk 950

Ok, so i'm wanting to put a touring trunk on my 950 tourer. I can't tell from pics if they will look good on the bike or not, and was wondering if anyone had one and what they thought of them. Here's the links:
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...=16&s=prod.php
http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...=21&s=prod.php

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 05:33 PM

I'd look into getting a good tour bag instead of a trunk. By the time you pay for the trunk, mount and paint your out a chunk of cash. I have a Kuryakyn Ultra Tour bag for my 950 and it's off the bike in 30 seconds when I get where I'm going.

Flip.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 05:44 PM

I have one on my 1300 and I like it. I would not hesitate to get one for my wifes 950. Brake lights in the wing, and the extra tail lights are a great plus in my opinion. (it is the DB trunk)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjiray2008 View Post
Ok, so i'm wanting to put a touring trunk on my 950 tourer. I can't tell from pics if they will look good on the bike or not...
Just to be sure all the facts are in play here, dj...
You DO know, don't you, that any sissy bar has to come off to install the trunk. I know... I know... they come with a cute little passenger backrest. But whenever I take to the road, I NEED the storage space offered by my sissy bar touring bag. And I DON'T want to be putting on and taking off my sissy bar for every highway ride.
My wife and I both have a really versatile combo bag that can be used in many configurations. Take a look at this post:
http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtop...light=#1523647
That's also a nice bag flip180 has on his bike.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:00 PM

Hey flip. when you load up that tour bag, how much does that affect your balance and handling? I've seen those and considered it, but didn't like having 'stuff' stacked outside the "load triangle". Want to take some long rides (1000 + miles) this summer and that looks like it would fit the bill.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 PM

I use the Nelson Rigg CBT 950 tail pack on my 1100 silverado. I had thought about a trunk but did not like the looks of the after market trunks. I can use the roll bag during every day riding, or any combination. My girlfriend loves the tall tail bag during long rides, makes a very nice back rest.
http://www.cycleluggage.com/nelson_r...FSgVagodb1L1_g
Hope this helps
Doug
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 06:17 PM

tour bags

I too like the tour bag approach, I have one that is not a brand name, but it matched my stock Silverado bags perfect, buckles, studs ect. I mount it the same way as Flip has his in his picture he posted, so as for throwing the balance off, it does not(for me), it would be hard to load one up with clothes ect that would weigh more than a pass sitting there, if she were going, things may be different, never tryed that. The tour bag is great when you stop for the day on a long run, unstrap and take it all in, suits me great.

Ride Safe, Live Long

Last edited by Sugar Bear; 12-28-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: correct spelling
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:39 PM

The trick to keep in mind is pretty simple:

The HEAVIER the item is, the LOWER on the bike it should be packed.
My tools and cooking gear and liquids are in the saddlebags... with my heavy tent strapped on top. Above that level, the system continues: Heavy jeans and the first aid kit are at the bottom of my touring bag; lighter items are on top.
You'd have to pack an awful lot of gear-- and pack it badly-- to be as unwieldy as carrying an adult passenger.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 07:58 PM

Bags

I'm sure the extra weight up high on the bike changes things some but, I have never noticed the difference. I use a Rally pack. I probably catch a little more wind if there is a cross wind.

Dave
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:32 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldebikerfarte View Post
The trick to keep in mind is pretty simple:

The HEAVIER the item is, the LOWER on the bike it should be packed.
My tools and cooking gear and liquids are in the saddlebags... with my heavy tent strapped on top. Above that level, the system continues: Heavy jeans and the first aid kit are at the bottom of my touring bag; lighter items are on top.
You'd have to pack an awful lot of gear-- and pack it badly-- to be as unwieldy as carrying an adult passenger.
Yeah old fella,keepin it smple sounds good to me,stacking it right is really going to help & with the weight over the back wheel,it would be like carrying the old lady.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode