Yamaha Releasing a New Cruiser Soon? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yamaha Releasing a New Cruiser Soon?

With the 1300 discontinued, does anyone have any insider information or rumors if Yamaha will be releasing a new cruiser? The 1300 is a great platform and would like to know if Yamaha is up to something in the next two years.

2007 VStar 1300 Tourer
2008 HD Sportster 1200 Anniversary Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 12:44 AM

Garage
I have the 950 and my buddy has the 1300. We both love our bikes and couldn't believe it when Yamaha discontinued them both. There is a big gap in their line up now that will only hurt them as neither of us can afford to move into the Venture or Eluder price range so our only other option is to go back to Suzuki and get a 1500. We do a lot of touring and our bikes suit us perfectly. No need to get the Goldwing style or price tag.

I am hoping they bring back at least the 1300 or maybe a new and improved 1100. Something to fill the gap from the 650. But I guess people didn't buy enough of the cruisers as most of their line up now is sport bikes and sport touring. Can't really blame the manufacturer for not building what isn't selling. Sad to say but I may be jumping to another brand in the future. Tried to buy a couple of chrome goodies for my 950 and they are no longer available from Yamaha so I have to go third party to get accessories. Very disappointing for those of us that love and supported Yamaha over the years.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 06:13 AM

If a particular model is a good seller and makes the manufacturer money, they're not going to discontinue it from a particular market unless some other factors come into play. I see brand new 2015-2017 Strykers with $8,000 price tags, brand new Yamaha V-Star 1300s with $7,000 price tags... there still seems to be old stock floating around at dealerships that doesn't move even at those prices. If there's a enough of an outcry for a particular model then maybe Yamaha will start selling it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 AM
KCW

Garage
I think the used market is killing vstar new sales.

Right now there is a 2003 RoadStar Silverado on craigslist here for $2500. It looks like its completely stock, and has 40k on the odo.

Depending on the tires and brakes (rotors maybe) at 40k I could buy that bike and ride with a permanent smile on my face for the next ten years. Im not planning to get another bike till maybe next summer, but I would grab that one in a second.

the closest thing I could get new from yamaha now would be a new 2017 vstar 1300 tourer MSRP $12,600 - and I would rather have an air cooled, pushrod, carbed bike like the older Roadstar.

let me put it another way, I could buy the $2500 Roadstar and have $10,000 cash to take one hell of a ride across the country.

BTW there has not been a thread on this yet, but since Yamaha has killed off Vstar, and will not be making any more cruiser bikes, who is now the leading cruiser bike manufacturer for highly reliable motorcycles?

I think it would have to be Honda. If you want to buy a new 2018 Cruiser bike, you cant get one from Yamaha. To be fair, on the Consumer Reports rating for cruiser bike reliability, Honda was right (close) behind Vstar.

Last edited by KCW; 06-27-2018 at 08:49 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 03:48 PM

Garage
Basically, they are a victim of their own success. When you have lots of 20 year old bikes (still going) on the road, you know you did something right. Problem being, with the used stuff being so good, why buy new?
KCW and NorthernRider like this.

I don't have to have fast, I just have to have fun!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 05:06 PM

Garage
I agree, blueblitz. It's sad to lose such a great line of bikes, but I can see the business side of it.

I started out with Honda, and almost got a Shadow before I bought my VStar. They're nice bikes, no question. But if cruisers aren't selling, it's only a matter of time before they disappear from other manufacturers lineups as well. Well, I'm sure Harley will hold on until the bitter end, but they're a little out of my budget. I have the same reasoning as KCW - I'd be more than happy with that used Road Star and keep my money.

I tried on an Indian Scout at the motorcycle show last weekend. While not exactly a cruiser, it's pretty close and after reading some reviews on it, I would seriously consider it if I were in the market for a new bike. 1130ccs and 100hp? Yeah, that works. I'm going to keep my eyes open for demo days at my local dealer and see if I can take one for a spin, just for $h!t$ and giggles.
KCW likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

on a related note, Indian's 'build' feature on their site is the best 360 degree tool i've seen.
eruby likes this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 PM

What information are you basing your assumption that these bikes have been discontinued on?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:21 PM

Garage
Yamaha's web site. Only shows Bolt and 250 for 2018.

KCW likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 07:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
on a related note, Indian's 'build' feature on their site is the best 360 degree tool i've seen.
It does work really good for the 360 part. It would be nice if it zoomed in a little closer though.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode