2009 Vstar 650 Custom model identification - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2009 Vstar 650 Custom model identification

I am having trouble figuring out which exact model I have based on these options in the owners manual:

XVS65ATY
XVS65ATYC
XVS65AY
XVS65AYC
XVS65Y
XVS65YC

Here are some pics of the frame sticker. Can anyone help me figure out which model I have? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180601_110040.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	81044   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180601_110049.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	81046  

Commit your way to Him and He will act.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
BTW, for a few of you this will look like a second post. My first one mysteriously disappeared as some others have as well.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 PM
KCW

Garage
the model number should be part of the VIN number on the steering head.

if the rear fender ends right behind the passenger seat, with the turn signals poking thru the fender, it is a Custom

if the rear fender goes all the way down behind the axle , with the turn signals sticking out of the brake light assembly, its a Classic.

The Silverado is a Classic with windshield and saddle bags.

<= mine is a classic (garage photo) click on small photo on garage page to see full size image

the sticker with the engine info is the same for all three versions.

Last edited by KCW; 06-25-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:20 PM

Garage
Those pics are your engine info and they all use the same engine. The 650 and 1100 VStars come as a Classic or a Custom model. If you post a pic of your bike it's easy to tell which one it is.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
the model number should be part of the VIN number on the steering head.

if the rear fender ends right behind the passenger seat, with the turn signals poking thru the fender, it is a Custom

if the rear fender goes all the way down behind the axle , with the turn signals sticking out of the brake light assembly, its a Classic.

The Silverado is a Classic with windshield and saddle bags.

<= mine is a classic (garage photo) click on small photo on garage page to see full size image

the sticker with the engine info is the same for all three versions.
I know that it is a custom, but that still doesn't positively identify it as one of the models in the manual. There are some adjustments and tolerances that are specific to the model. I'm afraid there's more to it than just custom or classic.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:29 PM
KCW

Garage
there is a link in this thread to look up your VIN number

its right behind the headlight bucket on your steering head part of the frame

If it has a C its a california bike, those are the only bikes with different specs and engine / emission parts.

edit - tried to use that link and it is no longer a valid website - sorry...

Last edited by KCW; 06-25-2018 at 01:53 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
there is a link in this thread to look up your VIN number

its right behind the headlight bucket on your steering head part of the frame

If it has a C its a california bike, those are the only bikes with different specs and engine / emission parts.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...tar-650-a.html
Unfortunately that link is no longer working. It looks like there's more to it than just the CA special cases. For instance, in the manual it says that the clutch free-play adjustment is 5.0-10.0mm for XVS65ATY, XVS65ATYC, XVS65AY, AND XVS65AYC but 10.0-15.0mm for XVS65Y AND XVS65YC. There are some other places where the specific model matters - tire size and pressure, brake pedal adjustment, max load, etc. For the most part it looks like the XVS65ATY, XVS65ATYC, XVS65AY, AND XVS65AYC are the same and the XVS65Y AND XVS65YC are the same, but which group does my bike fall into? I have nothing that links it to any of those Yamaha model numbers. It's kind of frustrating that Yamaha didn't put the stinking model number on the bike somewhere. Is one of these groups CA and the other all of the rest? Thank you!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:20 PM
KCW

Garage
the owners manual that is free online says the Custom is XVS650,

the classic is XVS650A

and they stick a C in for california-only bikes.

The tires are different sizes, you can read the tire size off the tires on the bike

I agree its a stupid model numbering system, I have seen the numbers you listed in other places

and the names themselves "Classic" and "Custom" are stupid. What is custom about a fully stock motorcycle right from the factory?

when you modify your Custom Vstar, do you now have a custom Custom Vstar?!

If I write "GENIUS" on my forehead does that make me a genius?!

the clutch freeplay is subjective for the rider. As long as you have some freeplay you can tweak it to get the friction zone to kick in where you want it, nearly all the way out, in the middle, or close to the grips.

The friction zone is very narrow on these bikes.

The brake pedal adjustments are different because the custom has foot pegs and the classic has foot pads - but again, tweak it were you want it.

as for the tire pressure and max loading, get the tire size off your tires, look in the table and see which alphabit soup they call your bike, and you should be able to figure it out. I think the tire pressures are also on the VIN sticker on the steering head.

BTW if you dont have the owners manual or service manual, they really are available free online - google V star 650 Service Manual.

No one can remember those XVS... numbers. When you goto a website to buy parts or tires.. it will ask you make, model (650 classic or custom) year... thats all you need to know.

Last edited by KCW; 06-25-2018 at 02:27 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
the owners manual that is free online says the Custom is XVS650,

the classic is XVS650A

and they stick a C in for california-only bikes.

The tires are different sizes, you can read the tire size off the tires on the bike

I agree its a stupid model numbering system, I have seen the numbers you listed in other places

and the names themselves "Classic" and "Custom" are stupid. What is custom about a fully stock motorcycle right from the factory?

when you modify your Custom Vstar, do you now have a custom Custom Vstar?!

If I write "GENIUS" on my forehead does that make me a genius?!

the clutch freeplay is subjective for the rider. As long as you have some freeplay you can tweak it to get the friction zone to kick in where you want it, nearly all the way out, in the middle, or close to the grips.

The friction zone is very narrow on these bikes.

The brake pedal adjustments are different because the custom has foot pegs and the classic has foot pads - but again, tweak it were you want it.

as for the tire pressure and max loading, get the tire size off your tires, look in the table and see which alphabit soup they call your bike, and you should be able to figure it out. I think the tire pressures are also on the VIN sticker on the steering head.

BTW if you dont have the owners manual or service manual, they really are available free online - google V star 650 Service Manual.

No one can remember those XVS... numbers. When you goto a website to buy parts or tires.. it will ask you make, model (650 classic or custom) year... thats all you need to know.
Hey I appreciate all of the info! The manual I have is the one I downloaded. So I hear you on the custom vs. classic, but I guess there's no way to know what's what with regard to all of those model numbers in the manual.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
If I write "GENIUS" on my forehead does that make me a genius?.
KCW, go for a genius tattoo on the forehead and we will monitor your posts to see if it worked. 😇 Here's an example.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode