Final Drive - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Final Drive

So I am getting new rubber, taking it off myself and going through the drive splines etc... I am wondering where's the best place to get the moly everyone is saying I should use. $17 for 2.5 oz is a bit steep. I don't know. Then I read that the moly 60 from Honda was just a myth etc... Please help ease my mind. 2002 V-Star 1100 Custom

Last edited by fd757; 06-29-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:57 PM

Moly grease is good if you you don't pay attention to maintenance intervals. If you re-grease the driveshaft and hub clutch splines with every rear tire change you'll be good. Moly is a great dry lubricant so if you allow the grease to dry off or get slung off, then the moly left behind will do it's job in still preventing metal to metal wear. So IMO due diligence and using a good old fashioned grease is all you'll need. I like using marine grease.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 06-30-2018 at 10:02 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:53 AM
KCW

Garage
There were several theads on this, some for the 650 but its the same on the 1100 - they dont show up on searches, so maybe some of the pages got lost in the last forum glitch.

Read this webpage: 650 CC & D

I got Loctite LB 8012, part number 51048. Its about $30 for an 8oz bottle on amazon.

Yes its expensive. Yes 8 ounces will last you for every motorcycle you own for the rest of your life.

Its referred to as moly paste and anti-seize compound. It has the correct >60% moly formula.

I did not pull the splines apart until my bike hit 35,000 miles on the odo. There is nothing in the 650 owners or service manual that say lubing the splines is a periodic maintenance requirement (like lubing your clutch cable, greasing the steering head and swing axle bearings... that stuff is called out as required, the shaft splines are not.

when I pulled mine apart at 35k miles they looked like new - so whatever was put on them at the factory was doing its stuff. I wiped them all down and used the Loctite 8012.

The biggest thing you have to worry about is taking your bike to a local shop to get the back tire changed. If they wipe the spline moly grease off and put some axle grease on, it will not last 100,000 mile. It may not last 20,000 miles. If you think $30 is expensive, google what it will cost you to replace your splines if the grease runs dry.

If you have ever owned a chain drive motorcycle you know what a pain it can be to keep the chain lubed, and even if you do the rear sprocket wears out anyway, and you will be buying new chains and sprockets over the life of the bike.

The shaft drive is intended to be maintenance free for the life of the bike. Most people pull the splines apart when they change the rear tire, or maybe every other rear tire. Compared to lubing a chain every 500 miles, its a big improvement.

Last edited by KCW; 07-01-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 06:55 AM

Garage
I asked my local dealer about it and they don't use it. It's great stuff, as Diogenes said, but expensive. One thing he did emphasize was to make sure to use a good waterproof grease. Very important. I do mine in the spring and again about midway through the season.
KCW likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
...The biggest thing you have to worry about is taking your bike to a local shop to get the back tire changed...
When I bought the XVS1100 I gave the bike a good 'once over' and found that although the drive splines were lubed and in great shape the rear wheel 'hub/clutch' (according to the parts diagram) was dry, the teeth were worn down halfway and there was metal dust coating the entire inside of the drive hub. Thankfully the hub/clutch is aluminum so it took the brunt of the wear and is an easily replaceable item (like changing a sprocket) so I bought one for $135, replaced it and lubed it up. I guess in short if you have a shop replace the rear tire, it's not guaranteed that they'll also lube everything back up for you so beware.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 07-02-2018 at 06:22 AM.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:53 AM
KCW

Garage
no sure what you are referring to as the hub/clutch?

the spline that is on the wheel assemble, that stays on the wheel when you pull the final drive off - about 2 1/2" in diameter?

or do you mean the final drive had no 80W gear oil in it?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ordered the tire on Friday, it showed up at home today. Monday!!! Fast shipping. Can't wait to tear into it and then give the bike a thorough riding!!!! Thanks for all your help on that moly stuff.
KCW likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
...the spline that is on the wheel assemble, that stays on the wheel when you pull the final drive off - about 2 1/2" in diameter?
That's it... Item #6.
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...5480#sch299206
KCW likes this.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 07-02-2018 at 04:57 PM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 05:00 PM

Apparently the URL is getting abbreviated for some reason but you'll see the part if you go to Bike Bandit's page for 2004 Yamaha V-Star Classic 1100 XVS11AS REAR WHEEL Parts & OEM Diagram

Last edited by Diogenes415; 07-02-2018 at 05:02 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 09:37 PM
KCW

Garage
I clicked on the OEM final drive rear wheel... on the left side of the screen and the drawing loaded.

yeah, that is a spline too - I painted the hell out of that one with the moly (it comes with a brush in the can).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode