Softer ride = Less back fatigue? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Softer ride = Less back fatigue?

Has anyone adjusted their shocks and noticed less back fatigue? I have yet to pull the seat and check the setting. I may drop it a click or two, to see if I notice any difference. It looks to be a rather easy adjustment. Are there any guidelines for the actual shock setting (weight of rider to setting value?)

Thanks for any input,

-PH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:23 AM

Garage
Here's manual page on shock setting. Might also try moving bars forward or back. It helped my back a lot when I moved bars closer to me.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 11:08 AM

Garage
I think my Raider was supposed come with a special tool (spanner wrench) to adjust the shock but the previous owner neglected to pass this on to me. I would like to experiment with settings. Have not been able to locate one.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead1809 View Post
Has anyone adjusted their shocks and noticed less back fatigue?
The preload adjustment does not change the stiffness or softness of the spring.

What it does is move the bike up or down within the range of the motion of the spring/shock, when you are on the bike.

For example: if the rear shock has 4 inches of travel, if you put the preload at the lowest setting, then when a 90 pound person sits on the bike, it will move down to the center of its travel: about 2". If two people sat on the bike weighing a total of 400 lbs, it would move all the way down 4" and bottom out.

If you put the preload at its highest setting, the 90 lb passenger would not move the spring at all when they sit on the bike -it would stay topped out, and the 400 lb pair would drop it down 2" to the center of its travel.

That is what you want, the preload set so the shock has equal space to move up and down when you are on the bike, you dont want it to bottom out or top out going over bumps. When it tops out your back tire leaves the ground. When it bottoms out all the additional force is transferred to the frame and wheels.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 08:00 PM
KCW

Garage
BTW, about a month ago I took a 200 mile day trip. On the way back every jarring bump I hit in the road felt like someone punched me in the stomach. It got worse and worse - I was bracing my stomach, pulling my muscles tight and trying to lean forward when I saw the road seam or other discontinuity in the road coming.

Turns out I had a stomach flu or something - had me worried while it was happening that my appendix was about to burst.

Having something causing discomfort while you are riding can quickly escalate.
lesblank likes this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
The preload adjustment does not change the stiffness or softness of the spring.
That's not entirely accurate. Increasing preload will make the shock react less to initial forces than if it were set to less preload but it has no effect on overall spring rate.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:47 AM
KCW

Garage
thanks Dio - spring rate is the word I could not think of

let me try this again - you cannot adjust the spring rate to make the rear feel stiffer or softer and have the spring centering properly set.

if you set the preload higher the bike will move up within its range of travel when you are on the bike, if you set it lower the bike will move down when you are sitting on the bike.

You want the bike adjusted so its pretty close to the center of its range of travel. The numbers in the owners manual for where to put the click-stop based on rider and passenger weight will do that.

There is no adjustment to change that will make the suspension feel stiffer or softer while keeping the suspension in the correct centered position. You can lower the setting to make it feel softer and/or to lower the bike on its shocks - but thats not what its for, because if you do that, the bike will bottom out on every bump you hit.

My comment on my intestinal virus and the pain I was in was an oblique reference to that - you do not want your bike to bottom out if you can help it. We have some crappy roads in upstate NY. On my daily commute I subconsciously know where every pseudo 'speed bump' is, and I lean forward without thinking about it when I hit them.

When you are riding at night and cant see them coming, its sucks.

Last edited by KCW; 07-08-2018 at 06:50 AM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

I knocked mine down to a “2” setting but need to take it for a longer ride to determine if I feel any difference from the default “3”.

On a side note, could the manual be any more cryptic on where to find the setting indicator? I had to find a You Tube vid to tell me it’s the pair of dots/holes at around 3:00 on the shock.

Thanks All!
-PH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:39 PM
KCW

Garage
so your bike doesnt have the factory tool set?

On the 650 its in the compartment opposite the battery compartment, and it snaps in place in the black bag in the bottom of the black compartment - even with a flash light if you look in there you might not see it.

I dont know if they hide the tool set somewhere else on the 1100, but the spanner wrench and its extension handle is the most useful thing in the tool set.

If you dont have the spanner, you can use a big pair of channel locks, but you have to squeeze them hard so they dont slip. It takes a good bit of torque to move the preload click to click.

Looking back it was Highwayman who said he has no spanner...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode