Stranded 650 won't start - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Stranded 650 won't start

Hey All,

Last night I was riding my 2004 650 and everything was going smooth as usual. I pulled up to a restaurant to meet some friends and the bike stalled as I was pulling into a parking space. I started the bike back up and it struggled then finally started I let it run for a few mins and went inside. When I was leaving the bike would not start at all.

It's pretty much doing this:

I pulled the battery and got it tested and the battery was fine. I picked up some new spark plugs and put them on the bike and it still will not start. I'm not sure what else to try, I'm going to get it towed back to my house today. Luckily it's only a few miles away. Any suggestions/tips are welcome if anyone has had this issue before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:25 PM
KCW

Garage
This may be overly simple but it sounds like its out of gas.

Check your fuel system - pull the line to the carbs and see if anything is coming out of the fuel pump when you first turn the key to run (you dont have to crank the starter to power the fuel pump). The fuel pump should run for about 3 seconds when you first turn the key on.

What did the plugs look like? Your exhaust is badly rainbowed - which is a sign of running very rich, or riding the bike with the choke on all the time.

That could also be caused by a very dirty air filter - if it is not white like paper you need a new one.

But to not run at all - you either are getting no fuel, or no spark.

BTW, if your bike does not start in 5 seconds its not going to. I would not keep cranking the starter that long - its not designed for that, it has no cooling.

EDIT: I just realized that is not your bike in the video - its an 1100...

Last edited by KCW; 07-16-2018 at 02:29 PM.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:25 PM

Garage
You need three thing for an engine to start. 1) Air 2) Spark 3) Fuel

Make sure air is getting to the carb/throttle body
Make sure you spark from the plugs.
Make sure gas is getting from the tank to carb/throttle body. (clogged or gummed up petcock?)
Make sure all ground wires and other electronic connections are good.

Something that happened to me. Dead fuel pump. Does the 650 have a fuel pump? If yes, check that.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips... and yes the bike in the video isn't mine but an example of what my bike is doing.

I forgot to mention I did put a gallon of gas in the bike when I changed the plugs earlier today. I only had 58 miles on a full tank but decided to add some gas just in case. One thing I forgot to mention I noticed a loss in power shortly before exiting to my destination. I didn't think too much about it but then the bike died while parking. I'll check the fuel pump when I get the bike back home. It had no issues starting up and I was riding all day yesterday.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 03:06 PM
KCW

Garage
The 650 has a fuel pump because the bottom of the tank is lower than the float bowls on the carbs. I think if the fuel pump fails it will block the fuel from the tank to the carbs.

But if the tank is nearly full you can by-pass the fuel pump, and it should run pretty well for about the first half of tank of gas.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
The 650 has a fuel pump because the bottom of the tank is lower than the float bowls on the carbs. I think if the fuel pump fails it will block the fuel from the tank to the carbs.

But if the tank is nearly full you can by-pass the fuel pump, and it should run pretty well for about the first half of tank of gas.
Thanks for the info, that makes sense since I had 58 miles on it when the issues started which would have been more/less the first half a tank of gas. I put another gallon in but I wasn't able to get it started. Once it's back in the garage I'll go through all the steps to locate the issue.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 03:17 PM

Garage
Easy way to check to make sure fuel us leaving the tank.
lesblank likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
Easy way to check to make sure fuel us leaving the tank.
Thanks this will definitely help out. I added more fuel to try and bypass the pump if possible but no luck. I'll wait until the bike is home to start going through the steps of determining what's wrong.

I was reading up on the starer clutch issues hopefully it's not that ☹️
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 07:36 PM

Garage
The starter will just “whiiizzzzzz” if it was the starter clutch. That sounds like the engine is turning but no bueno
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 07:57 PM
KCW

Garage
the starter clutch issue is on the 1100. the starter on the 650 is not made the same way.

if you crank the starter too much and drain the battery down, then the voltage will be too low and the ignition module wont have enough power to fire the spark plugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode