Can't explain why my V Star 650 suddenly won't start - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Can't explain why my V Star 650 suddenly won't start

Since I picked it up last year, it has always started easily. Pepcock on. Full Choke. Key on. Neutral, Clutch, Just a bit of throttle, and hit the starter. Vrrrrrooom!

Now however, the starter cranks and cranks but it won't catch. After a while, I do get a strong smell of gas. Yesterday it took 5-7 minutes of cranking before it finally started. Then I rode it to work (~45 minutes). Almost the same thing coming home.

** I forgot to mention, that it has back fired a couple times during the cranking-but-not-starting phase. **

I'm a relative novice under the hood (so to speak), so I'm open to suggestions.

Bad Gas? I'm about 40 miles into this tank.

Did I get water somewhere I shouldn't last time I washed it? No, I don't use a power washer, and although it does get wet, I don't focus the hose on the engine.

This just seems kind of sudden.

Ideas?
-PH

Last edited by Parrothead1809; 07-19-2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention the backfiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage
** Check all electrical connection & grounds to make sure they are good & tight.

** Check you battery to make sure it is putting out the voltage needed.

** If you are worried about this tank of gas, drain it and pour fresh. (You can save that "bad" gas for your lawn mower. At least that is what I did.)

** Check you air filter. Make sure you did not suck something into it. and it is blocking the intake.

** Check you spark. It is strong, weak or ... nonexistent?

Those are just the first thoughts that popped into my head.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:00 PM
KCW

Garage
Couple things: how has your weather been? If its pretty warm out you dont need to pull the choke out all the way on a cold bike - maybe halfway. If your bike is jetted a little rich, pulling the choke out all the way when its 90 out might be flooding the engine.

how old is your battery? the electronic ignition has a voltage level, below which it will not fire the plugs. As the battery slowly ages some grey day you will crank your bike, and since the battery has been slowly degrading, it will sound normal... maybe a little slow, but the plugs wont fire. Sometimes if you crank it for a few seconds then let off the starter, the voltage comes up while the flywheel is still spinning and it will start. If you have a volt meter check your battery voltage, and check it while you are cranking the starter. If the battery is weak you can push start the bike (about 10mph down a hill in neutral, then clutch in and kick it up into 2nd gear, clutch out and off you go). If the bike will push / coast start easily then definitely need a new battery.

If you are using 10% ethanol gas then a little bit of water in the tank will get absorbed and wont cause any problems.

if you are smelling gas it is probably flooding - but check the overflow tube between the cylinders just on top of the right side of the engine case to make sure gas is not pouring out (stuck float bowl).

The fact that the bike runs ok once it starts points to either the battery being weak, or something is not right with the choke (or you dont need it on all the way).

Running some Seafoam through the gas tank can only help.

BTW, dont crank your starter for more than 10 seconds at a time, then let it sit for a minute. If it doesnt start after ten seconds its not going to, and cranking the starter longer will cook it like you would not believe. If it smells like gas (flooding) push the choke back in all the way the next time (after a minute for the starter to cool down).
Scrumdown likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 07-19-2018 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:08 PM
KCW

Garage
One other thought - check your plugs -if they are all fouled out black the bike will be very hard to start.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:11 PM

Just want to add that in over two years of riding the 650 I have never had to give it "just a bit of throttle" to start it... seems to me I read on here somewhere that this is a no-no.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
KCW likes this.

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:14 PM

Garage
True .. I dirty plug gives a weak spark.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 02:15 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
... riding the 650 I have never had to give it "just a bit of throttle" to start it... seems to me I read on here somewhere that this is a no-no....
good catch, I missed that - keep the throttle off while cranking it...

on the 650 you can give it just a bit when it fires. On the 1100 if you give it throttle while the starter clutch is still engaged it will back spin the starter and blow the clutch bearings into metal confetti!

Times like this I wish we could step into a transporter and beam over to your garage with tool box in hand...
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Times like this I wish we could step into a transporter and beam over to your garage with tool box in hand...

Ditto! I got a fridge of beer waiting for ya! I drained the old fuel and put in some new “Plus” along with some Seafoam. Still no go.

Plugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:32 PM
KCW

Garage
usually when I ride home after work, the bike has been sitting in the sun all afternoon and I dont need any choke to start the bike. Its not 'running' warm from 8 hours earlier.

Definitely pulls the plugs and have a look.

this is a good time to say to everone, if you dont have a torque wrench, then get one before you put the plugs back in. Motorcycles have almost all aluminum heads and engine blocks, and its really easy to strip a thread out going by feel. Aluminum has no wrench 'give' or feel to it, like steel. It just strips if you over torque it.

Last edited by KCW; 07-19-2018 at 05:34 PM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
usually when I ride home after work, the bike has been sitting in the sun all afternoon and I dont need any choke to start the bike. Its not 'running' warm from 8 hours earlier.

Definitely pulls the plugs and have a look.

Not too bad...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	81490

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode