Best AFTERMARKET Seat??? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Best AFTERMARKET Seat???

Have you sat on more than one brand of seat on V-Star 1100's??

If so, I'd like to hear from you.

My wife has a 2004 1100 and isn't very happy with the riding position. I've put a set of riser/pullbacks on the bars and that seems to have made her a little happier....but not totally satisfied.

Now I'm going to do some "experimenting" with seating.

BUT, if you've ever looked around at alternative seating for your bike (V-Star or any other bike) you KNOW this is not an economical area for experimentation. Seats cost a BUNDLE, unless you find someone who is desperate to get rid of their current seat. And, usually, no one is desperate to get RID of a seat that YOU (meaning ME) want! LOL. It's the "Murphy's law of accessory parts replacement". (It's often similar to the Murphy's law of "Finding a lost item". If you want to FIND the lost one......buy a replacement......then BINGO, you immediately find the lost one!)

So, what I'm hoping to hear here, is the opinions of people who have a) ridden on the stock seat....then b) ridden on ANY other brand.

The most popular/commonly seen "alternative" seats that I'M aware of seem to be Mustang and Ultimate.

Would anyone whose ridden the stock seat AND either of these......(or ANYTHING else), please comment?

Thanks, folks. (Guys' AND especially womens' comments both greatly appreciated.)

Michael
KCW likes this.

Better to HAVE a gun and not need it than to NEED a gun and not have it.
(Slogan-Calgary revolver club)
Applies to everything, if you think about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:55 AM
KCW

Garage
The problem with taking someone else's experience with an aftermarket seat for advice then buying that seat

is everyone has a different anatomy, and different needs for a comfortable seat. A $500 seat that might be perfect for one person might become a numb-butt ride for someone else.

The answer is to customize a seat for the rider. That would cost a lot of money if you pay someone else to do it, but you can (surprisingly) Do It Yourself and get really good results.

Before you spend $500 or more for a one-size-fits-all aftermarket seat, read thru this website: Home

If nothing else that website does a good job of explaining the issues, like having a groove down the middle if your tail bone is a problem, shifting the position forward or back by adjusting the foam, and what it is that makes your butt go numb...

I modified the stock seat on my Vstar 650 and improved it greatly, for me. I might modify it further to add some gel padding - but the mods I did only cost me about $30.

Something that makes the DIY approach less risky - a lot of people buy aftermarket seats, so there are a lot of stock seats available for your bike. If you totally ruin your stock seat, you can get another one cheap, or if you were going to buy an aftermarket seat anyway, your stock seat is already 'ruined' as far as using it in its present state is concerned...

so you have no risk in attempting to make the stock seat better.

There are threads on the DIY process by several people on this forum - try searching on "DIY seat"

Last edited by KCW; 07-25-2018 at 10:08 AM.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:59 AM

Garage
I kept and eye on Craigslist in my area and found $750 Mustang seat and backrest for $200. They were in like new condition. Buying used might be a less expensive way to try out a couple different seats.

Commit your way to Him and He will act.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:05 AM

Garage
I have an 1100 as well I can concur with your wife's opinion of the stock seat. I haven't tried any of the aftermarket seats yet, but I've done a lot of reading about them. Mustang is a very popular brand, but I've read that they move the riding position up and forward a bit. If the risers improved it for her, maybe that's just what she needs. Ultimate are rumored to retain the stock riding position while still offering a much more comfortable ride.

But like KCW said, it's all subjective and you'll get almost as many opinions on seats as you would asking what oil is best. I've checked out the link KCW posted and I think I'm going to give that a try before I drop $700 or $800 on a seat. I'm watching for a cheap set of stock seats to experiment on though just in case the grinder gets away on me
KCW likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:05 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rn2god View Post
..Buying used might be a less expensive way to try out a couple different seats.
that is one of the problems with finding a good aftermarket seat. You need to ride that seat for about an hour to see how well its working for you.

Totally impossible to compare one seat against another before you buy one. (unless you know someone who has one and will let you borrow their bike for the afternoon).

Quote:
I'm watching for a cheap set of stock seats to experiment on though just in case the grinder gets away on me
the idea of using a 4 1/2" angle grinder to shape the foam sounds inSANE! but it works incredibly well. I practiced on some closed cell foam I had previously used for padding under sleeping bags for hiking trips. Definately practice on something other than your seat, and as the website says, only sweep the grinding wheel across the foam in one direction, as if you are dragging frosting with the trailing edge of wheel, not cutting into it with the leading edge.
Scrumdown and CanadianMohawk like this.

Last edited by KCW; 07-25-2018 at 10:12 AM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
that is one of the problems with finding a good aftermarket seat. You need to ride that seat for about an hour to see how well its working for you.

Totally impossible to compare one seat against another before you buy one. (unless you know someone who has one and will let you borrow their bike for the afternoon).
Oh well........at least it's not QUITE as bad as buying a $7,000 BIKE without riding it for an hour or so!!
Keith Post likes this.

Better to HAVE a gun and not need it than to NEED a gun and not have it.
(Slogan-Calgary revolver club)
Applies to everything, if you think about it!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 04:28 PM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
Oh well........at least it's not QUITE as bad as buying a $7,000 BIKE without riding it for an hour or so!!
I went to a Harley dealer 5 years ago with my MC license, MSF beginners course completion card, and 33 sweaty $100 bills in my pocket to put down on a new 883 sportster. Asked the salesman if they had one I could take for a test ride.

"store policy insurance yada yada yada sorry no!" I had been planning on buying a HD for about 8 months, if he had let me ride one, Im sure I would have bought it.

and thats why I have a Yamaha.

To be fair, I think it was just that one dealership. And I think HD has a program now: you can 'borrow' a new bike for 24 hours for $100 - kinda extended test ride.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 07-25-2018 at 04:30 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:22 PM

Garage
I recommend the seat from Ultimate. Like mentioned...I could go on about how great it is...Nice thing is you can use it for a month. If you're not happy, you can return it and all you're out is return shipping.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 06:59 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

I have had the Mustang and Ultimate seats. My wife liked the Mustang but LOVES the Ultimate. I had to add a Gel insert for the Mustang seat to be comfortable for her. She said it was kind of hard. Both of them have a wider passenger seat.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 02:35 PM

Garage
My stock 2010 950 seat gets uncomfortable after a couple of hours or by the time I need gas. Getting off long enough to get gas and get a drink is usually enough to keep me going comfortably for the next period of time. However, as the day wears on, the time between butt breaks shrinks steadily and discomfort increases.

I'm not going to spend the kind of money they are charging for a replacement seat that might not cure a problem caused by a bony butt rather than seat padding. So I compromised with a Skwoosh mid-size gel pad that fits perfectly on the stock seat. About $80 as I recall.

It isn't a cure. It has a noticeable positive effect, extending the time between butt breaks by maybe a half hour or so, but doesn't fix the problem. I'll need to ride on some different bikes or seats to know what my next step is going to be.

It does help to ride a lot. Butt endurance increases with practice, but only up to a point. For me, there is still a hard stop of discomfort after X hours. Some HD riders have told me they can ride all day. I may rent one and see what happens. If I do, I'll report.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode