Brand New tires leaking from spokes shop wont help me - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By fd757
  • 1 Post By Diogenes415
  • 2 Post By bevo1981

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Brand New tires leaking from spokes shop wont help me

(Note: I posted this In the beginner section and a senior member suggested i make its own post. Sorry in advance for the doubke post.)

I need help guys. I recently had my local shop install new motorcycle tires. I live not even 3 miles away I got home w the new tires parked and then all of a sudden the tires started airing out from one of the spokes. I called the shop and they said theyd pick it up but if they inspect it and decide its not their fault that i have to pay for their labor again? The bike was perfectly fine before i left the bike with them and they have terrible reviews regarding these exact problems forgetting crap and the service manager decided I was getting upset and hung up?

Does anyone have any similar experience such as this? If so what ended up happening was there a happy ending? What did you do? Because hibestly stuck with no idea how to proceed here.

Thanks in advance

Also sorry this is the only place I could post this i think bc new member and all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 10:13 PM

Garage
I don’t know if I would go back to that shop. I would try to find another shop. If that isn’t possible, not sure. Sounds like they may have pinched the tube or not replaced the rubber that goes around the spokes that protects the tube from the spokes. Sorry man.
KCW likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 06:21 AM

It all depends on where the puncture in the tube is located but be prepared for the shop to not own up to it's mistakes. If it's on the tread side then the shop can easily assume that something went through the tire and punctured it on your way home. If it's in the sidewall then there's a good chance the tube was pinched during installation, especially if the puncture looks like a snakebite. If the puncture is on the inside where the spokes are then most likely a spoke or spoke nipple is the culprit, that's the responsibility of the shop to correct when they inspected the rim and installed the rimstrip.

I once took my old Benz (35 years old now) to a local tire shop to have all four tires replaced. I picked up my car after the job and when I got home I noticed that one of the tires was almost flat. Upon inspection I realized that the shop crushed and sliced the valve stem under the good old metal hubcap. I went back to the shop to have the valve stem replaced and kept an eye on what the guy was doing. When he went to reinstall the hub cap he once again didn't align it properly and crushed the valve stem underneath it. I pointed that out and told him he needed to correct that. The head honcho at the shop wanted to charge me for the labor so I let him have both barrels and explained what had initially happened and how I just now had to correct his guy from making the same mistake again. That shop is no longer in business.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 07:13 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
That shop is no longer in business.
Godfather: what is it you want from me Dio?
Dio: Justice
Godfather: why didnt you come to me before?!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fd757 View Post
I donít know if I would go back to that shop. I would try to find another shop. If that isnít possible, not sure. Sounds like they may have pinched the tube or not replaced the rubber that goes around the spokes that protects the tube from the spokes. Sorry man.
That what is sounds like to me...the rubber mat liner that creates the barrier between the tube might not be in there, or folder over, and the crimp 90 degree spoke feet are exposed to the tube wall. What a bummer this chap!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

i would have the shop pick up the bike. if they find it was their fault and own up to it and fix it, it will cost you nothing and you will now have a working bike. and never do business with them again and add to their poor reviews. if they fix it but determine it was not their fault, you will have to pay but you would have had to pay someone else to fix it anyway. and never do business with them again and add to their poor reviews.
lesblank and KCW like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 05:29 PM
KCW

Garage
I agree with Bevo - if they just screwed up a bit they can fix it and it will only cost them a new tube, or they might patch the tube and it will cost them nothing but their time

but there is a risk, if they are incompetent mechanics they could mess up your bike even more taking the back wheel and shaft drive off, and putting it back on - cause more harm than just a flat tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode