How to properly start a 650 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By rn2god
  • 1 Post By arby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Garage
How to properly start a 650

So I did a little research on the site prior to posting this question. I did find a good thread with regard to properly starting an 1100, but nothing specifically on the 650. I have read what the OEM manual says with regard to starting, but it's not very detailed other than the choke operation for warm up. Here is my startup procedure for a cold start:

(1) Turn key on
(2) Put bike in neutral
(3) Pull chock out all the way
(4) Press starter and simultaneously open throttle until it starts
(5) After a few seconds push choke back to half
(6) After 1 mile push choke completely in

Most of the time, the engine does NOT stay running after the first start. So I immediately restart and then it runs.

I read that for the 1100 it's a very very thing to use the throttle to start the bike at all. Is this the case for the 650? How do you start your 650 and why? Being a newbie, I'm trying to do things right as to not mess up the bike. Thanks for the input!
KCW likes this.

Commit your way to Him and He will act.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:15 PM
KCW

Garage
You got it right except 4. You dont want to give it any throttle at all until it fires. The mixture with the choke pulled all the way is correct with the throttle all the way off. If you start to open the throttle you are letting more air in and changing the fuel/air ratio.

Once the bike fires at all you can burp the throttle just a bit to get both cylinders running good.

then for 5 push the choke in immediately part way until the engine slows down to about its normal idle speed (1200 rpm). Its usually about two clicks on mine.

1/2 to 1 mile is good to push it in all the way. If there are no stops in that distance you can push it in all the way once you get up to 3rd gear. If you push the choke in all the way too soon, and then you stop, it can bog down as you try to take off again.

Also 'cold' is a relative term. If its more than 70F in the morning you only need to pull the choke out about half way. If your bike has been sitting all day in the parking lot at work, it will start faster if you give it a little choke to start up for the ride home, then push it back in the same as if it was a cold start.

The only way you will mess up the bike is if you leave the choke out and ride it that way - it will run rich, the engine will rev too fast when you are idling, and your exhaust pipes will become rainbowed (heat stressed). It wont really hurt the bike unless you do that all the time.

Quote:
Most of the time, the engine does NOT stay running after the first start....
I think thats because you are opening the throttle while its cranking but hasnt fired yet - you are partly flooding the engine. Or maybe its because you are using the full choke when its fairly warm out, and its too much.

Last edited by KCW; 07-26-2018 at 12:20 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Good info KCW. I will try the half choke to start with no throttle. It is definitely over 70F most mornings in lower Alabama in July/August. So should I be able to start the bike on the first try with no throttle?

Commit your way to Him and He will act.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 12:52 PM
KCW

Garage
absolutely.

When you have the choke set right for the temperature, it will start within a second on the starter: One mississippZaroom!

also bike in neutral and clutch pulled in while cranking puts the lowest load on the starter. You can start the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in, but it has a little more drag spinning one side of the clutch, but not the other.

in neutral both sides of the clutch mechanism spin freely.

you can also feel this when you push the bike around - it pushes easier in neutral than it does in gear with the clutch pulled in.

Last edited by KCW; 07-26-2018 at 12:54 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:41 PM

Garage
On my Road Star (1602cc), this is how I start her. I use the FINS method. Fuel. Ignition. Neutral. Start.

For you guys who like lists....
1) Turn petcock to 'ON'
2) Turn key on
3) Make sure she is in neutral
4) Press starter
5) Pull chock out all the way - depending on temp outside. Colder temps I'll hold the choke out for a count of 10 & then let go. Warmer temp, a count of 3 or 4.
6) Finished organizing & getting dressed for the ride.
7) Go for a ride!

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 08:21 PM

FWIW, On my last carbed bike, VTX 1300,

Insure it's in neutral
Turn key on
1 twist of the throttle
Enricher out (Depending on temp) 1/2 way to full
Crank it up

After 10 to 15 seconds, I push the enricher in so I have a fast idle
After a full minute I crack the throttle, if no stumble I push the enricher in & GO!

I've found, at least on that bike, riding with the enricher open, even just a little, I'd
eventually foul my plugs.
Scrumdown likes this.

2014 1300 Tourer. Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra Slip-On Muffler, Lindby Multi-Bar,
Cobra PowerFlo, Yamaha Lightbar, Wolo Big Boy. Bag Guards & Trim Rails ED Seat
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 07:24 AM

Garage
If you need to pull the throttle when start, probably your bike have a bad stator.

08 XVS650 Custom - "Judith"
ISRA #33080
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode