Anyone mount 750ml extra fuel bottles to a Vstar 650 Custom? Please share pics! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By patrickdk
  • 1 Post By skypupbob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Anyone mount 750ml extra fuel bottles to a Vstar 650 Custom? Please share pics!

The subject says it all. I'm planing a short fall camping trip and have read much about keeping spare fuel. I'm having a bit of a challenge finding a decent mounting point for the bottles, though. I just purchased the Saddlemen Sport Tunnel Bag and it mounts on top of the passenger pillion. So, I don't have a rack or sissy bar to mount the bottles to. The two bottles could fit in the Tunnel bag, but that's where my clothes and other items will reside; I don't want everything smelling like gas. There are plenty of D-rings on the bag as well, that I could take advantage of. But I'm curious what others have done.

Thanks for any pictures or advise!
-PH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 08:49 PM
KCW

Garage
I used spun aluminum bottles to carry white gas on long back packing trips. They are very robust and you get a good feedback when you screw the cap on with the plastic O ring. They will not leak, so you dont have to worry about gas getting on your clothes.

Two liters will get you 30 miles on a stock 650 (with no windshield / speedbrake). Thats good insurance when you are riding in unknown areas and cannot be sure where the next gas station will be.

BTW, if you have to use the gas in the bottles go backwards to the last gas station you passed (if its within your range) - dont hope there is one up ahead unless you are SURE!

(pushing your Motorcycle sucks :^)
Yamaha Pat likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 08-01-2018 at 08:42 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:26 AM

as long as it's not opened, you should be fine. The issue comes when you use it, and refill it.
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:55 AM

Wrapping the bottles in rags (old socks work) and putting the bottles in zip-loc freezer bags can help protect your clothing from fumes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:48 AM
KCW

Garage
they are not hard to fill at home with a gas can...

but on the road, if you use them... yeah.. funnel rags hand soap mess angry gas station owner...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

All good tips, but I'm still looking for a pic from someone who mounted it to a 650. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
-PH
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 03:05 PM
KCW

Garage
I got no photos or mounting suggestions (like a water bottle or fire extinguisher holder). I would be very worried about having an alum bottle of gas mounted anywhere on the bike where it could possibly fall off or hit the ground in a spill or collision or slide on the asphalt.

I have never heard of a motorcycle gas tank rupturing in any kind of spill or accident. That is the level of integrity you need to aim for.

If you really want extended fuel capacity attached to the bike, I would think about a secondary fuel tank somewhere - something designed for that purpose.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:08 PM

Garage
My brother had a CX500 Honda that he put a 1.5 gallon plastic gas can and a fuel pump in one saddlebag . I'm not sure how he plumbed it ,but he could flip a switch and fill up the main tank. As I remember it worked well . He really liked long distance riding .
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode