Clevver Lever 2009 650 Custom - underwhelmed - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Clevver Lever 2009 650 Custom - underwhelmed

So I read almost nothing but extraordinary reviews of the Clevver online and being a new rider, I just had to give it a try. Most people went so far as to say that this was the only flaw in the Vstar. First of all, as I had read already, the installation on a custom is a bit complicated. Although Robert put together and nice set of instructions with the product, there was quite a bit more involved than what was documented for the custom. Once I finally had it installed, I seem to have lost all but just a little of the adjustment in my clutch as the adjustments at the lever and at the clutch are both out nearly all the way. I have about 3/4 inch from the grip until the clutch engages. The friction zone is noticeably larger, but I have about 1/2 inch of 'loose' play out at the end (lever nearly fully released) that I cannot seem to get rid of. I went for a very short ride around my house and my gear shifts almost seem clunkier now than before. When I shift it seems louder for some reason. At this time I am a bit unimpressed, but I will reserve judgement until I have the chance to ride a good bit. Any ideas on what I may have done wrong - or is this to be expected? Thank you!

Commit your way to Him and He will act.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 10:50 PM

When I installed my Clevver lever, I also added the clutch adjustment kit. I am very impressed indeed with the addition of the Clevver lever, and the clutch adjustment kit that compliments it. I don't understand why, after all these years, Yamaha can't have these bikes set up like this, right from the factory. There is no loose play at all on the Clevver on my 2014 650 Custom.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
When I installed my Clevver lever, I also added the clutch adjustment kit. I am very impressed indeed with the addition of the Clevver lever, and the clutch adjustment kit that compliments it. I don't understand why, after all these years, Yamaha can't have these bikes set up like this, right from the factory. There is no loose play at all on the Clevver on my 2014 650 Custom.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Do you recall where you got the clutch adjustment kit?

Commit your way to Him and He will act.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 07:20 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
... I don't understand why, after all these years, Yamaha can't have these bikes set up like this, right from the factory. ...
its a design tradeoff

having a very wide friction zone makes the clutch act as a position-controlled mechanism. It is less sensitive to the position of the lever but you have to pull the clutch in all the way to the grip to shift.

Having the friction zone very narrow makes the clutch act as a pressure controlled mechanism. If you focus on the pressure you are applying to the level and ignore its position then you will have no problem using the stock clutch setup. This also allows you to shift faster, because you dont need to pull the lever all the way to the grip.

Its a matter of what you are use to. Generally speaking you control a vehicle by applying pressure to the controls, not moving them.

Counter steering is a good example of this: when you push against the grip to turn the bike, as the bike leans the grip moves against your push - its pushing back and then some and moves the grip towards your hand while you are pushing on it. When you stop pushing against the grip it moves even further towards your hand, the bike steers further into the turn and straightens the bike up.

Another way of saying this: A motorcycle is self balancing. When you lean the bike over with counter-steering you are preventing it from self-balancing and fully correcting itself, so it stays in the lean and in the turn. You quickly get use to the feel of the steering, its the same with the clutch - you get use to applying pressure to disengage the clutch, so it does not matter how far (or which way) it actually moves.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 06:08 PM

Garage
I put a clever on my 950T. Cost me a cable as the clever wore through the cable. Fortunately found it when I had 2 strands still there and was able to limp home.

You're never really lost on a bike. You're just riding somewhere you haven't ridden before.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn2god View Post
Do you recall where you got the clutch adjustment kit?
There's a guy on Ebay (by the name seritec) who has been selling the clutch adjustment kits for years, though I see he doesn't currently have them listed. But I'm sure if you contact him he would get one out to you. I think I paid about $20US for mine.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 10:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lanerider View Post
I put a clever on my 950T. Cost me a cable as the clever wore through the cable. Fortunately found it when I had 2 strands still there and was able to limp home.
I had the same experience with the Clevver. Never again. I unfortunately didn't find out until the cable snapped and I had to be trailered to the shop. Down a week waiting for a new cable.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:28 AM
KCW

Garage
Im not sure why the Clevver would cause the clutch cable to fail?

If they only change the lever on the handlebar, then all the changes to the pull are on the part of the lever your fingers are on, the clutch cable would be moving exactly the same.

If it also makes changes at the bottom end where the cable goes into the transmission, then the cable would be moving more, but it should have less force on it.
camperbc likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Im not sure why the Clevver would cause the clutch cable to fail?

If they only change the lever on the handlebar, then all the changes to the pull are on the part of the lever your fingers are on, the clutch cable would be moving exactly the same.

If it also makes changes at the bottom end where the cable goes into the transmission, then the cable would be moving more, but it should have less force on it.
The Clevver is made from an oem clutch lever. What they do is drill an extra hole next to the original hole the cable sits in. So the new cable position is further back than the original giving you more of a friction zone. The problem many are experiencing is that the cable rubs against the original hole as you pull the lever in and out and eventually frays the cable and strands start to snap off.
KCW likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKnight View Post
The Clevver is made from an oem clutch lever. What they do is drill an extra hole next to the original hole the cable sits in. So the new cable position is further back than the original giving you more of a friction zone. The problem many are experiencing is that the cable rubs against the original hole as you pull the lever in and out and eventually frays the cable and strands start to snap off.
Exactly. They may not all be that way, but the one I got was kinking/rubbing the cable on the sharp edge of the hole and cut through almost all the strands. I noticed I was having to adjust the freeplay of the clutch too often and pulled the rubber boot back to see many frayed strands. Did catch it in time to baby it home and order a new cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode