Lift the whole console unit with oem hbars? vstar 1300A - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wimg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Lift the whole console unit with oem hbars? vstar 1300A

Hi folks,

I was wondering if instead of changing to the RSTB handlebars for the xvs1300A midnight star has anyone instead raised or lifted the whole console unit and original handlebars up 3" with some extenstions? I was wondering if this was an alternative option.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
You could do that. I replaced my handlebars when I still had the 1300, and I was very pleased with that, but risers is an option, and relatively simple to apply.

One thing that is important to realize though, from my experience with separate risers, is that it is fairly easy to get them out of alignment, which means that the handlebar gets into a skewed position. If you look at the Yamaha service manual, you'll see that the original risers are 3 pieces, one piece at the back which is a single piece over the full width between connection points to the upper steering head, and two to hold the handlebars in place at the front. The single back piece makes it sturdy. The moment you add two risers, it becomes less stable. Should be ok under normal conditions, but a simple fall may offset the handlebars.

So I'd suggest you either go for the RSTD handlebars, or a 2 or 3 piece set of risers, IOW, similar to the original, just higher, and not a 4 piece set. The Strat/Liner version consists of 2 pieces only, and that is even more sturdy. I just had a new riser set machined, also 2 pieces only, just to give it that extra sturdiness.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimg View Post
You could do that. I replaced my handlebars when I still had the 1300, and I was very pleased with that, but risers is an option, and relatively simple to apply.

One thing that is important to realize though, from my experience with separate risers, is that it is fairly easy to get them out of alignment, which means that the handlebar gets into a skewed position. If you look at the Yamaha service manual, you'll see that the original risers are 3 pieces, one piece at the back which is a single piece over the full width between connection points to the upper steering head, and two to hold the handlebars in place at the front. The single back piece makes it sturdy. The moment you add two risers, it becomes less stable. Should be ok under normal conditions, but a simple fall may offset the handlebars.

So I'd suggest you either go for the RSTD handlebars, or a 2 or 3 piece set of risers, IOW, similar to the original, just higher, and not a 4 piece set. The Strat/Liner version consists of 2 pieces only, and that is even more sturdy. I just had a new riser set machined, also 2 pieces only, just to give it that extra sturdiness.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
thanks for your input but what I was thinking is to replace the lower bolts under the console that go through the top steering cross member with longer ones that hold the console including the handlebars in place, so you are not raising just the handle bars but the whole unit and keeping the handlebars with grips etc still attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-1600risers.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	81850  

Last edited by oldfart; 08-12-2018 at 03:44 AM. Reason: add pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 05:27 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
thanks for your input but what I was thinking is to replace the lower bolts under the console that go through the top steering cross member with longer ones that hold the console including the handlebars in place, so you are not raising just the handle bars but the whole unit and keeping the handlebars with grips etc still attached.
That is what I was guessing indeed, TBVH. That should indeed be possible. Even so, if you can find risers which are physically connected, that would be a better option IMO.

Just make sure your cables and wires are long enough. From my experience even if it is supposed to be possible, as it was supposed to be with some of the risers I tried, it may well be stretching it. Too taut cables and/or wires is a recipe for problems later on. Better to either extend them, or replace them (in the case of cables). I am speaking based on my experiences, having done this 5 times now .

Kind regards, Wim
oldfart likes this.

Own: 2006 Yamaha XV1900A Midnight Star, Black Cherry, with all the Strat S trims ( (2015-)
Owned: AMF Harley 350SS (1976-1977); Yamaha XS650 (1977-1979); 2012 Yamaha XVS1300A Midnight Star, Dark Grey Metallic G (2014-2015)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

okay so I have bit the bullet and gotten someone to make up some 50mm (2 inch) Alloy riser extentions for my handlebar/console and I will see if that helps out in the wrist department, then I plan on cutting off one and a half inches from the end of each handlebar at the next stage if I have too, rather than buy another set of handlebars .... or that's the idea at least, but hoping I just need to raise the whole shebang up that 2 inches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode