'03 V Star 1100 Rebuild - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By Dustin Martinez
  • 1 Post By Dustin Martinez
  • 2 Post By Scrumdown
  • 1 Post By Dustin Martinez

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
'03 V Star 1100 Rebuild

Hi, I'm Dustin, and as the title suggests I'll be rebuilding(really just reassembling) a V Star that I picked up for $500. So far, it needs the rear cam, some brake work, a front tire, adding some mirrors, and I want to put the original handlebars back on it, I hate ape hangers. I uploaded a couple pics below, if they come through, showing it with the handlebars repositioned and the tank and seats on, and one of the damage to the tank just to get an idea of what we're working with.

I'm worried that the riser clamps for the handlebars might be bent, it looks like they wrecked pretty good with the old bars, damaging the tank pretty bad on the right and had to replace them, but they don't line up right anymore, and those clamps look like the problem. The seat looks like its going to be a huge improvement over the one I had on the Midnight Star, its wider and softer by far. One thing I noticed right off, I had the bike parked in the carport for about 2 hours and it was already developing an oil spot.

The cam and bolt for the timing sprocket should be about $120, plus shipping. The last owner broke the end of the cam off, tightening the sprocket after changing the starter clutch or I wouldn't have gotten such a deal. I found out that the oil filter is the same as on my old 94 Virago, and I still have one that I had bought a few years ago, so all I need is the oil, and it'll be fresh for the new season. Going to go with the Yamalube 20-50, which will be about $30 with free shipping.

I got a free front tire, and the feeling that if I hadn't mentioned how bad it was, he wasn't going to include it. Talked to the Yamaha shop and they'll charge $40 to change it, if the tire is off the bike. That works best for me since I have to assess the brakes anyways and possibly bleed them and replace the pads. I don't know whats wrong with the rear brake yet, but it isn't functioning at all at the moment.

I would like to change the tank, but they're kind of expensive and cosmetic really. My uncle has a 650 V Star that he blew the engine on, so maybe he'll sell me the tank and handlebars. The dickhead(the former owner, not my uncle, though he's a bit of a dickhead too) pulled the little brass fitting out of the petcock instead of loosening the clamp, which may cause problems, I may need a new petcock at the least.

One thing I'm a little worried about is the air cleaner, its a little like 2" X 2" thing that looks like its missing the housing for it, it just sits out in the open right now. I'll have to track all this stuff down eventually, in the mean time I hope it doesn't affect the air/fuel mixture.

So, thats the project, I'll be ordering the first parts in October, the cam and the bolts to get the engine back together and running. Is there anything anyone can think of that I should keep in mind about this bike or about replacing the cam or timing it or anything? I don't have a shop manual yet, but I have the internet for timing procedures and the like. I know I started this thread a little early, about a month and a half early, but if there are any factors I haven't considered I want to encounter them early.

One thing I am very happy about, is that it came with saddlebags, every bike I've ever got I had to track down saddlebags for if I couldn't use old ones, and these come premounted. I'm a little worried about the stated mileage though, the odometer shows like 13,000 miles but it looks like its been through a lot more than that, especially with all the oil leaks. So what do you think? I think it'll be running in less than 2 months. See you out there.

-d
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180816_164744.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	81916   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180816_164759.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	81918  
bevo1981, Elk and CanadianMohawk like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 10:04 AM

Garage
Did the previous owner get the starter clutch on? Correctly? you should have plenty of fun with that, just be ready for break downs. I am anxious just reading your post, but the price is killer!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah, the starter clutch is done, and really its only one more bolt to pull the cam. Basically it's just timing and reassembly, a couple covers and a sprocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 10:59 AM
KCW

Garage
the only thing that worries me from is how did the PO break the end off the cam shaft?

Im not familar with the parts, but I assume he put a wrench on the end to tighten up a nut or bolt... but what was holding the cam from turning? Just the timing chain?

or was the cam out of its bearings and off the bike when it was broken?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thats a very good question, I had assumed he just tightened it with a socket, in gear, and somehow snapped it, but that is a lot of torque to snap a cam. It was in the head apparently, at least it is now.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
the only thing that worries me from is how did the PO break the end off the cam shaft?

Im not familar with the parts, but I assume he put a wrench on the end to tighten up a nut or bolt... but what was holding the cam from turning? Just the timing chain?

or was the cam out of its bearings and off the bike when it was broken?
I finally got an answer on that today, apparently PO bent the valves and broke the end of the cam off because it was out of time. He pullled the engine, replaced the valves, and stopped short of replacing the cam, going so far as to replace the head gasket and get a pressure test(without the cam being replaced). I'm starting to worry about this motor. I looked up engines on ebay and found an '03 1100 for $850, and to me $1350 for a decent bike is a good deal. If I do get the original engine going I'll have to adjust the valves, and probably the carbs. At least I have like 6 months to take care of it. Yeah, just an update.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 07:07 AM
KCW

Garage
Yikes! The piston mashed into the valve hard enough to break the cam.

Did he replace that piston too? Connecting rod bearing, crankshaft bearings, check the bearing journals in the aluminum case?... Does it still have the same timing chain what was trying to twist the valve and cam into the piston?

Ive had air cooled VW engines drop a valve, and I replaced the head and the piston and put the engine back together, but those were beater cars and I did not expect them to last for years.

I dont have enough experience with MC engines to give you sound advice, maybe someone else has been thru this before, but you are right to be concerned about the rest of the engine.

My general experience with cars, when an engine throws the timing chain and mashes the valves into the pistons, the engine is replaced.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It sounded like he just rushed everything together, new valves because they were bent. but just left everything else the same. He wasn't even going to tell me about the valves, but something in this thread reminded me that he had mentioned they were new in the listing, so I asked him again. He finally admitted that that was when the cam broke, but still insisted it was overtightening. I'm still waiting on a second bill of sale from this guy too, one going from the title holder to him, I have one from him to me, so I can't get it in my name yet either, which makes me not want to work on it yet. I was too impatient I think, I rushed to get this bike because it seemed like a great deal, but it was too good to be true. I guess I should have known. Oh well, I'll try the new cam, and see if it runs. If it does I'll drive it around for a while and just accept that its not a long-haul bike, I'll never take it out of state or anything. If it doesn't run or it runs poorly I'll get a new engine on ebay, easy peasy. I'll still be paying on it for the better part of a year, but at least I'll have a bike next season.
KCW likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:09 AM

Garage
Dustin Martinez --- From what I've read so far ... My advise is to do a complete break down and rebuild of this engine. If not, I feel you may run into constant issues.
Egorich and fd757 like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well, I would if I could, but I'm not really qualified to do a whole break-down, cracking the case and everything, I would never get it back together. I definitely can't afford to have someone else do it. I had a 750 Virago that I bored out and rebuilt the top end, because it didn't have any power. It ran the same when I was done with it. These things are good on gas, but they're still an expensive hobby. I think, unfortunately, I'm going to have to chance it this time. I may even put the cam in and find out its too far gone anyways, so I may have to get the new engine, which would take care of that problem. Thanks for the advice, and I wish I had the skills or funds to take it.
CanadianMohawk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode