Brake Rotor Replacement - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Brake Rotor Replacement

Its time to replace my front rotors. 72,000kms on the originals.

What is everyone using? OE? EBC? China?

Does anyone have any experience with Tarazon rotors found on amazon?

Im leaning towards either an OE set or EBC equivalent. They are relatively close in price. I can get OE for $230CAD each rotor, and the EBC's seem to run close to that price.

I will be using the EBC FA199H pads unless someone suggests a better set.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

i'm still on OE after 90K+ miles on my 950. why is it "time" to replace yours? i thought they never needed to be replaced unless they get damaged somehow.

correction: i did have to replace my rear rotor very early on, like at 1,000 miles. because it got damaged, long story.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:31 PM
KCW

Garage
there is a minimum thickness you measure with calipers for the rotors to pass inspection

and easy way to check them, hold a flashlight behind the rotor... if you can see the light thru the metal, it might be time to start looking around.

I think if you wanted to build a new 650 from Yamaha OEM parts, the bike would cost you about $50,000.
Scrumdown likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
there is a minimum thickness you measure with calipers for the rotors to pass inspection
i guess they don't check for that here in TX during state inspection. but anyway, how would the metal wear down enough without being damaged? isn't it cast iron?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:59 PM
KCW

Garage
I dont think rotors are cast iron - they seem to be a nice chrome alloy steel. Ive never seen my rotors surface rust like a car, if I dont ride the bike for a few months.

The brake pads wear down the rotors. I think ceramic pads wear the rotors the fastest. Normally you can get at least two sets of pads on a brake before you have to replace the rotors.

On cheap car rotors the bulk of the metal is cast iron, and they plate on a better grade of steel just where the rotors contact the pads. Once that layer wears off, your rotors look like nothing but crusty rust.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 06:09 AM

Rotors can last over 100K miles or far less, it depends on how clean you keep them, the conditions during which you ride and the brake compounds you use.

Most common rotors are indeed cast iron but stainless steel alloys are also used as well as carbon-carbon, ceramic and other composites but usually in more exotic applications.

Last edited by Diogenes415; 08-24-2018 at 06:18 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I measured the rotors and they are at 4.5-4.6mm with some tapper wear. The pads are 1-2mm. If I'm not mistaken discard thickness is 4.5mm. The bike is ridden hard. I ride it to work on a really busy freeway which has lots of stop and go. Otherwise I would've just thrown a set of pads at it.
KCW likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:43 AM
KCW

Garage
another consideration for rotors, when you brake hard they get hot

on a racing car they get so hot they glow red.

the thinner the rotor gets, the hotter it will get, because the heat has a smaller path to conduct away...

and Im sure the heat increase is exponential with the inverse of the thickness - because everything that is working against you is always exponential.
Elk likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 12:53 PM

Garage
Motorcycle brake question .... Using the front brake & under 5mph, it feels like the front is rocking like am I on a sea horse. Not horribly. Just enough. When I brake hard. It is fine. When I use the front and back together its fine.

Should i start with replacing ... All front pads > Front rotors > rebuild calipers > repair/replace front fork legs. (I have bled the from and rear lines.)

Or do you guys have another idea?

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 04:53 PM

Make sure it only happens when using the break. Sounds like it's warped, and needs replacing, but only very slightly, or you would feel it at higher speeds.

Hmm, thought galfer made some, but seems they don't, must have been looking at them on a different bike.
Diogenes415 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode