1300XVS - Cuts out while riding - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
1300XVS - Cuts out while riding

Got an issue with my 2008 1300 -

Bike was first sold in 2011 and had only 5032 miles on it when I bought it 6/23/2018. That means it sat - a LOT. Tank and sub-tank were full of rust/sludge (got that taken care of, I think - see my garage for an interesting pic of what was in the tank). Still having an issue with cut-out after it's warmed up - I'll be running just fine and then it starts missing and gets progressively worse. I'll coast, turn the bike off then immediately restart and I'll be good for another few miles until the process repeats itself. This doesn't keep me from completing long rides but is very annoying and potentially dangerous if I have to accelerate quickly. The fact that it's intermittent and that turning it off/on provides a temporary fix indicates to me an electronic problem rather than vacuum or fuel.

Anyone else had this problem? Do you think that Ivan's flash and performance package (with fuel controller) would solve my issue?

Thanks for your help folks!

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 09:10 AM
KCW

Garage
intermittant problems are the hardest thing to debug. I dont think an ECM flash will affect that, you could be right, the ignition could be dropping out.

A simple thing to check is to pop the gas cap off the tank when it happens - it could be a plugged gas tank vent causing vapor lock.

could also be a flaky fuel pump, plugged fuel filter.

I had a very early fuel injected car that did this, a 1968 VW square back. I when to a neighborhood garage that had one that was wrecked. The mechanic let me start replacing the fuel injection sensors and the controller one at a time, till the car stopped stalling by the side of the road. I dont remember what the last sensor was that I replaced, but you get the idea.

You would have to be able to test it while its in the failed state, unless the ECM throws a fault code.

The factory service manual might have a debug tree for things like this. The manual for my Vstar 650 is posted on the internet as a pdf free download - I dont know if the manual for the 1300 is also out there.

Edit: another think: have you pulled the plugs to see what they look like? fouled out or burned from running lean? If they dont look excellent get new ones, gap them and put them in, just one less thing that could cause trouble.

Last edited by KCW; 09-03-2018 at 09:38 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 06:25 PM

Garage
I had a simular situation a few years ago. I used apple cider vinegar to clean tank. With the amount of junk in yours it in the entire fuel system. What I did was to remove tank, filled with 5 gallons of apple cider and let sit for 24 hours. It did wonders, google the process, it works without damaging anything. Then I flushed with gas. Do not leave tank unfilled after you clean it, the rust will come back really quick, that's experience speaking. Here's my feeling on tank coatings, Don't use them. If there is one little spot that the coating does not adhere it will start to come loose and create a bigger mess. Below is a picture taken before and after the apple cider vinegar treatment. It looks that clean today, 4 years later. I would also pull the fuel pump and clean the strainer. The fuel injected pump rely on a fuel strainer that's attached to fuel pump. Discoloration on the screen is OK but should be clear of any gunk. This whole process will cost about $25 for the vineger and a few hours of labor, keep us informed. Good luck.

Before

After

Here's picture on rust that came out of filter, my 1100 is has carburetors with filter between tank and pump.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks KCW, here's what I have so far in answer to your suggestions:
- Can't pop the fuel cap while running, it has the "flip up" that can only be operated with the key, which is in the ignition....
- Could be a flaky fuel pump but why would the problem be intermittent?
- Can't be a clogged filter, because there isn't one - also, the screens on the petcock valve are completely gone so gas flows well
- No fault codes have been triggered
- The plugs were supposed to have been replaced just before I bought the bike - I probably shouldn't take anyone's word for that

I'll look for the 2008 1300 manual to try the debug tree - had no luck finding that manual before but found a 2007 manual. While much should be the same between the 2 years, the 2007 is a carbureted bike while mine is FI so there will likely be some differences.

lesblank, I appreciate your perspective. I already bought the POR kit but won't use the sealer - I'll just do the acid flush. BTW, would you also acid flush the sub-tank or just leave it alone? When I clean the fuel pump will taking the fuel pump off the bottom of the sub-tank mess up the gasket or is it an O-ring set up?

Thanks for your help guys!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 03:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcoolbroth View Post
Can't pop the fuel cap while running, it has the "flip up" that can only be operated with the key, which is in the ignition....
Make a copy of your key. and then ride with the spare in the cap. and see if it a vapor lock scenario.

Quote:
Could be a flaky fuel pump but why would the problem be intermittent?
It would intermittent because there could be a short win the pump itself. Plus the bike sat a lot as you said. Not moving is bad for all combustible engines and causes all sort of little gremlins.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:29 PM
KCW

Garage
either way if you have one key or two, when the bike starts acting up you want to stop, open the tank and let it vent, then start the bike up and see if its ok.

Pulling the cap loose while you are riding could be sketchy.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 06:46 PM

Garage
I would tank pump out and clean the casing, bound to be a lot of gunk in there after sitting and would be pulled up by pump. The pump uses an oring, number 30 in diagram.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...5063#sch780446

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
You guys are a wealth of info, thanks!! With your help I'll get the lot-rot out of her yet!

And honestly, I'm very satisfied with the bike overall. When not acting up it has plenty of power (even when riding 2-up on the hills here in Oklahoma), it's smooth riding and gets much better mileage than my Jetta! I'm really enjoying riding, even more than I anticipated I would.

Once more into the breach.....
bevo1981, lesblank, KCW and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:05 AM

There has to be a filter on the fuel pump, I would look there, but yes, there likely isn't another filter.

I had an issue with my old honda car, it would only go upto 50mph, if you babied it, hit the gas hard and it would stall. The checkvalve in the fuel line feeding the engine was bad, and was restricting flow, so it couldn't meet the high demand when I needed to burn more gas.

Once I finally located and replaced that checkvalve is when my real issues started though. I found out I had 0% clutch live left, but since I had always had to baby it, I never knew.

From what you said, it works for a few min, then starts to die. Sounds like it cannot suck in gas fast enough to the fuel pump, so once you use up what you have in the line, it starts to sputter, give it a chance to catch up, and it's ok again for alittle bit. I would make sure all the hoses and filter and check the fuel pump itself if there is something in it's internal hoses or filters. After that I personally would likely change the fuel pump (after making sure I didn't overlook any other cheaper solutions).
KCW and Scrumdown like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
I'll look for the 2008 1300 manual to try the debug tree - had no luck finding that manual before but found a 2007 manual. While much should be the same between the 2 years, the 2007 is a carbureted bike while mine is FI so there will likely be some differences.
It should make you feel a little better to know that 2007 models (and all 1300s) are FI, not carbureted. (I have a 2007)
For the record, and someone correct me if I'm wrong:
I think that the 650s, 1100s, 1600/1700s (the OG V Stars and the Roadstar) = Carb
and 950s, 1300s, and 1900s (next Gen V Stars/Bolts and Roadliner/Stratoliner/Eluder/Venture) = FI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode