what have you wasted your money on lately? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
what have you wasted your money on lately?

Bummer, I bought a new "lower" windscreen for my 1300 Deluxe and the extended-lowered brake pedal assembly and neither worked as I wanted.

The lower windshield caused so much helmet buffeting that I could not stand it. And the extended/lowered pedal hits my engine guard so I had to go back to the stock pedal assembly (btw - I even cut the pedal width short and installed the stock rubber and it still hits).
So those items are in the bin now and I'm back with stock setup. That was a couple of hundred $ wasted.

Maybe the factory designers know what they're doing when they outfit these bikes.

-Mike
2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe, Bag guards and trim rails, Custom Dynamic LED tail/turn, Signal Dynamics BackOff module, Pathblazer headlight strobe, Yamaha Passing Lamps, E.D. Pass seat. Memphis Shades lowers, O2 sensor by-pass.

Last edited by CountryB; 11-29-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 12:09 PM

Garage
Try lowers or fork wind guards for the buffeting.

So far I have been lucky and have not bought something for the bike that was a bust. my cars on the other hand ... that is a list.
Keith Post and CanadianMohawk like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:39 PM
KCW

Garage
I got a Memphis Shades 'fats' windshield and lowers for my VS650 last summer. I was hoping I could ride on the thruway at 75mph in relative comfort.

It took me over a month to get the windshield and the lowers adjusted just right, so the ride would be... acceptable. Spent $500 for acceptable.

Kinda disappointing overall, but it is better at 75mph than the straight windblast trying to take me off the bike. Also the windshield is good in the spring and late fall when the temp is below 50F.

I cant really say the money was wasted, because I will get some use out of it. BTW, you might need to experiment with your lowers and windshield more to get rid of the buffeting. Every bike and rider profile is different, for me the windshield is on the same plane as the forks, the lowers are right up to the bottom of the windshield, and side to side they closely match the curve (angle) of the bottom of the windshield. Its as if the windshield extends down over the forks around the headlight bucket. If I angle the lowers flat into the wind, or angled back too far twisted on the forks, the laminar airflow collapses and I get head buffeting.

I dont like riding with it on the bike, it sucks the life out of the 650. Id would much rather ride the bike with no windshield at 60mph on a secondary road, than ride it at 75 to 80mph on a divided highway.
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 09-12-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 03:46 PM

Garage
I buy way too many gloves. I have gloves for any and every riding weather. Some I like and some that have only been worn once or twice. And most were not cheap. The ones I don't really use, so a waste of money, have a comfort flaw. They felt good in the store but didn't work well on bike, seam on inner thumb rubs on throttle hand, fingers too long, fingers too short, etc. Just went and counted, 11 pair.
Keith Post, Elk and CanadianMohawk like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:07 AM

Garage
I bought a Ďtop of the lineí license plate frame with LED lights for brake enhancement and it was a piece of junk. Didnít spend a ton of money on it, and had it wired up professionally, but I kept my receipt so itís going back. Iíve been fortunate that most of the stuff Iíve bought for my 950 has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

why was it junk? any pics?
Keith Post and CanadianMohawk like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:12 PM

I'm a cheapskate, A couple of years ago I bought a metal detector and have used it exactly once. On my carpet with a ring, a key and couple of coins. It is hard to carry on a bike.

Riding is not just what I do but who I am.

Cherry 2007 650 Classic
The Strat 2010 Stratoliner Deluxe
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:23 PM

Garage
I picked up a GoPro knockoff that I tried attaching to my handlebars exactly once. Couldn't get the mounts stable enough to use and I will NOT fasten it to my helmet, so it's in a box in the basement somewhere.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 04:43 AM

Garage
I bought a Chipotle burrito and somehow peppers got in there. You can't exactly unfold it and pick them out then reassemble so...BUST!
bevo1981 and CanadianMohawk like this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, hereís a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode