2014 Vstar 1300 leaking fuel - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

So i ride my bike to work 30 miles one way and I noticed several spots on the blacktop where i park my bike that fuel has dripped from my overflow tube. The odd thing is I parked the bike in my basement with no sign of leakage. Any ideals?

Last edited by Jpgburg; 09-20-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:25 PM

Garage
Is your bike parked in the sun at work? The sun will heat the fuel and it expands. All tanks are vented for this purpose. When it's in the garage the sun is not on gas tank. Next time you ride to work open you gas cap to relieve any internal pressure. Then look to see if fuel leaked out, or was it less that normal, if so you know what the issue is. Keep us informed.
Diogenes415 likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is parked in the sun and it has been hot 90+, however i never had this issue with my Vstar 1100. Could it be a my gas cap not venting correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:42 PM

Garage
Almost all bikes will vent fuel under the right conditions. Take a look at your intro post for another good response. I ride an 1100 and it vents from time to time. Just pop gas tank to vent before leaving it in the sun for an extended time.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:49 PM

Jpgburg, despite the heat we've been experiencing something's still not right about fuel leaking. Have you checked your carbs float height? If set too high it'll increase the chance of fuel venting through the vent/overflow tubes.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to mention it is fuel injected.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:12 AM
KCW

Garage
If you filled the gas tank to the brim then parked it in the sun, the gas will expand in the heat and it has to go somethere.

If that is not the case, if you know the tank is not completely full, then you need to look for the leak.

Is this a California bike maybe? They have more venting/overflow hardware than bikes sold in the rest of the US. Its also possible you have a loose hose clamp somewhere on a fuel hose, and its just dribbling down the overflow tube.

If your are sure its coming out the overflow tube, if you can see it coming out, pop the gas cap and see if it stops? If it does then your tank vent is plugged up.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Not a CA bike and Im sure its coming out of over flow tube . Is the tank vent located on the fuel cap itself? I will definetly try leaving the gas cap popped open next time i ride.Thanks to all for all the help!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 08:52 AM
KCW

Garage
If your garage floor is concrete you will not see a gas leak on the floor. Unleaded gas evaporates away completely, leaving no trace on concrete.

The asphalt pavement on a driveway or parking lot will interact with the gas, and look discolored under a gas leak, after the gas has evaporated.

So maybe it is dripping in your garage too.
bevo1981 likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 09-21-2018 at 09:01 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Didnt know that. What could i put under it to check? Cardboard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode