2000 vstar 650 noise - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Plainolerich
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

2000 vstar 650 noise

hi everyone....I have had this bike for 6 weeks....put about 140 miles on it...overall, 6900 miles....runs great, rides good, etc....I changed the fluids in the engine and rear.......it vibrates and I don't want to go over 60...but that is fine..Ive read about this and Im good......the bike needs tires and I want to make sure all is good before spending a lot of money.......the drive shaft doesn't have any play in it....and the run-out looks good...but when I have it on my lift...the type that supports the bottom of the frame....I start it up and put it in gear, let out the clutch...I can hear a weird clunky noise in the left side of the engine....is this because the tire doesn't have any load on it?........I removed the side cover over the drive shaft u joint, no noise from there....grabbed the drive shaft up by there and no wiggle.....noise is definitely coming from the left cover over the stator...but, driving it, real slow with it just idling, I cant hear anything.....I thinking, and hoping it is because the back tire has no load.......please tell me it is normal...then I can get new tires......the front hasn't got a lot of tread and has little dry rot cracks, the rear was made in 2008......so, anyway....thanks !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 07:52 AM
KCW

Garage
the bike has some back lash in the drive gears. I can feel it when riding my 650. If you bounce the throttle between accelerating and compression braking you can feel the back lash in the gear/drive train.

I would think that would get real sensitive with the back wheel freewheeling in the air.

If you dont hear bad things while riding the bike Id say its good. If the odo says 6900 I really doubt you will find anything wrong with the engine or drive train.

In 5th gear the 650 has a noticeable vibration from about 58 to 63mph - Its the resonance of the cylinders with the mass of the engine on the mounts. Once I get mine up to 65 and above it smooths out again.

I find it useful, riding around in a 55mph speed zone, I feel that buzz and know Im hitting the low side of 60mph.

Your old tires might not be balanced so well anymore too.

Are you changing the tires yourself or taking the wheels off and having a shop put them on?

When you take the back wheel off take a good look at the spline into the output universal joint on the engine. You want that to be lubed with a 60% moly paste. Locktite calls there's an anti seize compound.

If you take the four bolts off the nose of the final drive, there are three more splines hidden in there that all use the same 60% moly paste. Its a good thing to check those at least once. If they are properly lubed they are good for 100k miles. If the previous owner put axle grease on them the splines will wear out in about 5k miles. If you search on 650 splines there are couple threads on this that call out the Locktite moly paste, and there is a website with nice photos showing how to take that nose off and get to the other 3 splines. It only takes about 20 minutes to lube them correctly.

The best deal I have found on tires is from bikebandit website. The OEM Bridgestone tires are heavier than the OEM Dunlop tires. The Bridgestone tires make the bike feel more stable, and they last longer.
Plainolerich likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 10-15-2018 at 07:59 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

hey KCW........thanks !!..........I will have a shop do the tires......I told them to remove rear, inspect the splines and look for any obvious stuff....if all looks good, then order the tires........if not, we will have to see what direction to go next....Yes, Ive read all the info on the lubing of the splines, etc....lottsa info....and, removing to rubber boot at the engine side, I can see the splines on that end appear to have lube...we will see....I was looking at Shinko 777's

when im going about 55 and pull in the clutch, no shaking or anything....so, I don't think anything is out of balance as far as tires....but new ones with a fresh balance aren't gonna hurt.....

I love this bike....I also have a 2013 Harley wide glide with the 103....having a tear in my shoulder makes it hard to hold on....the throttle hand doesn't care about the left shoulder....at least with the v star, I don't have to worry...lol
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 08:59 AM
KCW

Garage
get a back rest you can lean into, even just a little bit makes a big difference, esp at highway speeds.

I initially had a drivers backrest on my 650, then took that off and put the trunk on the bike.

<= photos on my garage page - click on the smaller thumbnails there and see the full sized images.

Working on putting a drivers backrest on my royal star now - making a frame out of hydraulic 3/4" stainless tubing that will attach to the 3 bolts where the passenger seat use to be.

After you get use to a drivers backrest, riding without one is like sitting on a bar stool.
Plainolerich likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode