650 vs 1100 final drive - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By pauli466
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By KegerChris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

650 vs 1100 final drive

Does anyone know if the final drives on 650 and 1100 v stars are interchangable? My 650 needs a new one and for some reason the 1100 ones on ebay are running around$100 whereas the 650 ones are around $500. Which I find odd. Anyways,They look exactly the same in pictures, so can I order a 1100 one for my 650?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:51 PM
KCW

Garage
I just looked on bikebandit.com at the OEM parts for a 650 and 1100 for 2004 bikes

they list different part numbers for the entire final drive assembly for the two bikes, so they are different assemblies.

did the entire drive gear assembly eat itself? If the spines wore out you can get the individual parts.

here is the webpage for a 2004 VStar 650 final drive. The whole assembly is item 1 in the list, its $900 for a new one:
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts...5479#sch295406

you can back up to the home page and walk thru for the 1100 Vstar, and see they have a different part number.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 07:54 PM
KCW

Garage
looking at the exploded drawing again you can get the splines that are in the drive shaft, but they dont list the 2 gear pieces (pinion gear?) apparently you cant get those two parts, or the housing, by themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 08:03 PM

Garage
supply and demand brother, the 650 final drive has a lot of failures ( stripped splines on pinion gear ) the 1100 doesn't everything is different between the two drives, the splines, the mounting, the internals, you name it it,s different, if the splines are stripped you can weld a new coupler to the gear side, there is no sliding at that end, the shaft can still plunge in and out, it should be welded inside and outside and cleaned well. i did one years ago and it's still going so i know it will work, i figured there was nothing to lose trying it except the 30 dollar coupler cost so i gave it a shot and found it will work
KCW likes this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 05:53 AM
KCW

Garage
I dont think the 650 is more prone to wearing out its drive shaft splines

I think the 650 is more likely to be purchased by someone who does not know how to take care of it, or doesnt bother with simple maintenance.

The 1100, royal star and other bigger bikes with shaft drive are more likely to be purchased by more serious and experienced riders.

If properly lubricated a shaft drive should be good for more than 100k miles, on any motorcycle.
Diogenes415 likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 10:43 AM

FWIW my 650 had 28K miles on it when I bought it and the final drive was obviously neglected yet all it needed was cleaning and lubing. My 1100 had half that mileage with a neglected final drive and needed replacement parts... that's not surprising considering that the 1100 weighs more and transmits more power/torque through it's final drive. Granted I don't the history of either bike but from my mechanical experience I like the 650's final drive design more.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:39 PM

Garage
I'm fairly certain the Virago 535 rear end works on the 650. There's a bunch of articles on the 650 if you Google "650 ccnd"
KCW likes this.

99 VStar 650

Keep the Rubber side down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode