Vstar 1100 doesn't run right - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Vstar 1100 doesn't run right

First the bike started harder until it didnt start anymore. I thought it could be thee battery Eventually the starter didnt turn the engine over anymore. I put a new battery in and tried to start with the same effect. The starter didnt turn the engine over. So I took the spark plugs out, cleaned them and cranked the bike before I put the spark plugs back in. Stream of fuel came out of rear cylinder and some fog from front. With the spark plugs in it started, not exactly super easy but it did. There was also some smoke coming up from under the seat, where the cylinder heads were. I didnt smell a burnt smell though and ignored it. I then drove up and down the road and as I came back to the house the engine died. The bike didnt want to start from here. The starter turned but and the engine turned over but it didnt wake it. I researched the issue but came to no conclusion or maybe a comon xvs problem. Who can solve this mystery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 07:41 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
Stream of fuel came out of rear cylinder and some fog from front.
this sounds like your float is sticking on the rear cylinder and flooding the engine with liquid gasoline.

when this happens usually gas comes out the carb overflow tube, between the cylinders on the right side of the engine.

What is the history of the bike? Have you been riding it for a while, or has the bike been sitting with gas in the tank for a long time.

If the bike has been sitting ethanol 10% fuel will get gummy, make your floats stick in the carbs, and clog up your jets. If you can make sure the floats are not stuck up and flooding out the overflow tubes (petcock open, key on so the fuel pump is running) then I would get a bottle of SeaFoam fuel cleaner and run about 5 ounces in a 5 gallon full tank of new gas. First look in your tank with a flashlight. If the fuel is brown or orange or looks like Pepsi, pull the fuel line off the tank from the petcock and drain that stuff out. You do not want to run old gas thru your carbs ever. If you have no place to take the bad gas, put it outside under cover from the rain in an oil drain pan, it will evaporate away in a couple days.

If a float is stuck open sometimes you can free it up by wacking the float bowl with the handle of a screw driver. If you cant get it to stop Im afraid you are looking at pulling the carbs off and cleaning them. You might get away with putting seafoam in the gas, letting it flow into the float bowls, and then sit for a few hours - but dont try to start the bike if the overflow is spilling out gas.

One other thing: if the bike is spilling gas out the overflow carb tube you need to check your oil. Open the oil cap and smell it. If it smells like gas at all you need to change your oil. Also check the oil level - if its higher than the top mark its probably got a lot of gas in it. A little bit of gas in your oil will turn 20W40 into 1W3 and your bearings wont last 1000 miles.

Last edited by KCW; 10-26-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode