750 cc kit - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By NorthernRider
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By Dbmanthe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

750 cc kit

As some of you may know, I'm on the hunt for a Vstar650. As I was looking around, and yes, looking at farkles for a bike which I do not own I came across a 750 cc kit.
I was wondering if anyone had bored their engine and installed something like this. Now this is not a debate whether or not more displacement is needed, of course the answer is yes. Rather I was wondering about the aftermath.
How did it work out in the end? Reduced oil consumption? More hp and torque? Was the bike smoother or rougher with regards to engine vibrations?
Definitely not trying to say anything bad about the stock setup, just curious about what the owners have done to their engines.
Thanks everyone! And yes, my F6B is still for sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Garage
For the $700 to $1000 I would just buy a larger displacement bike to start with. Over the years I've increased displacement on many different motors. I always get good results but starting with bigger displacement is a much more reliable and cost effective avenue.
bevo1981 and Diogenes415 like this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 03:25 PM
KCW

Garage
In the several years since Ive been riding a Vstar I dont remember anyone tearing apart a good engine just to put in bigger cylinders.

Its something that people normally do when they have to rebuild a worn out engine, the bigger parts are the same price, so why not while you are tearing the crank down to the bearings.

There have been a few here that damaged their engines one way or another and rebuilt with a bore kit, they might be able to answer your questions, if they happen to see your thread.

These engines are good for 100,000 miles, then you get a used one with low miles for about $1000 if you want to keep the bike. There is not a lot of rebuilding going on. At least not on this forum.
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:43 PM

Garage
I agree with Les and KCW. It's not worth the effort. For less than the price of the kit you could have an 1100. You'd have the increased horsepower you want and not risk damaging or messing with a VERY well designed engine. I know an 1100 sounds like a whole lot more bike than the 650, but they don't feel like a big heavy bike (I believe the weight difference is less than 100lbs). They are just as reliable and well built as the 650, look almost identical, and there are plenty of good deals out there. I bought one for my first bike in 20 years and I have had no trouble handling it on the highway or at low speeds in traffic (and I'm not a big guy). If a 650 suits your riding style, that's great, but it sounds like it won't work for you. Try an 1100 and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
lesblank likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 07:10 PM
KCW

Garage
After watching Craigslist for the last couple years, waiting for a good deal on my 2nd bike

Ive noticed a good low mileage bike that is several years old, but with everything up to date: brakes, tires, maintenance, windshield, saddle bags... is about $3000 if the bike is several years old.

It doesnt matter if its a 650, 950, 1100, 1300... or even a 1600 Road Star. They all sell for about the same price if they are turn-key and ride away, and the owner is moving or no longer riding.

In fact, Ive seen some scooters, Vespas, and the newly available Honda Cub is a little over $3000.

I dont completely understand it but thats what Im seeing where I live. I got my 2000 Royal Star with 24k miles for $2500 and all it needed was a new front tire, and a bottle of Seafoam.
lesblank and NorthernRider like this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Good bikes are definitely out there, and have my eye on one or two in particular, both 650s. I REALLY want/ need to move this Honda. I'm sick of paying for it and insuring it. Unfortunately it is definitely not time for most people to buy a motorcycle.
A 650 is truly what I'm after. Goes fast enough, less to insure, better mpgs, etc so on and so forth
lesblank and KCW like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 08:44 PM

Garage
If you decide to get the 650 you can add exhaust and pods to achieve a good horse power pickup. It's a proven enhancement that does not cause reliable issues. Good luck on you search.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode