Gear Issues - first - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Gear Issues - first

So if I'm coming up to a light and down shift to 1st - zero problems

However if I shift to neutral at the light, then try and shift to first at times it looks to be in gear but when I take off it's clearly not - it will jerk and die like trying to take off in second

I can tell it's not going into first all the way

can I adjust my clutch to fix it or is it the actual clutch ?

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsphaltWarrior View Post

However if I shift to neutral at the light, then try and shift to first at times it looks to be in gear but when I take off it's clearly not - it will jerk and die like trying to take off in second

Neither! (Assuming you don't have any other shifting problems).

You should always shift into 1st while the bike is moving & coming to a stop.
I always want to be in gear in case I have to move fast. That being said, if I downshift to1st while moving, stop, I'm able to shift into neutral, let the clutch out, pull the clutch in, and drop it into 1st no problem.

If you shift into neutral while your still moving, The syncros in the tranny aren't aligned properly.
I've had problems due to paying attention to miniskirts & halter tops, and come to a stop in 2nd.

What I do then is feather the clutch so the syncros get realigned, pull the clutch back in,
shift down to neutral, and repeat.

If you do have to adjust the cable, be sure the bike is at operating temp.

2014 1300 Tourer. Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra Slip-On Muffler, Lindby Multi-Bar,
Cobra PowerFlo, Yamaha Lightbar, Wolo Big Boy. Bag Guards & Trim Rails ED Seat
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arby View Post
Quote:

Neither! (Assuming you don't have any other shifting problems).

You should always shift into 1st while the bike is moving & coming to a stop.
I always want to be in gear in case I have to move fast. That being said, if I downshift to1st while moving, stop, I'm able to shift into neutral, let the clutch out, pull the clutch in, and drop it into 1st no problem.

If you shift into neutral while your still moving, The syncros in the tranny aren't aligned properly.
I've had problems due to paying attention to miniskirts & halter tops, and come to a stop in 2nd. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/StarbikeForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

What I do then is feather the clutch so the syncros get realigned, pull the clutch back in,
shift down to neutral, and repeat.

If you do have to adjust the cable, be sure the bike is at operating temp.
Got it, Thanks

I only really think about neutral after long rides or just want to sit back at long lights or something - normally am in first

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Got it, Thanks

I only really think about neutral after long rides or just want to sit back at long lights or something - normally am in first
Yeah, I hear you. I come across some long lights & I also shift to neutral, but as I said, as
long as I was moving & shifted into 1st before I stop, I'm able to hit N and drop it back into 1st with no problem.

2014 1300 Tourer. Cobra Fuel Processor, Cobra Slip-On Muffler, Lindby Multi-Bar,
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:46 AM
KCW

Garage
If I need to take my hand off the clutch at a stop I hit the kill switch. Then I can let go of the brake lever too, and the bike wont try to roll away under me because its still in 1st gear.

Ive done it both ways, it can take more time to try to get the bike into neutral, then kick it back into first to go again, than to blindly hit the kill switch, then turn it back on and nail the starter.

And BTW, if you ever have to put the kick stand down and jump off your bike at a stop, hit the kill switch but leave the key on - that keeps your lights on. Ive done this a few times to move rocks or debris off the road at a red light. You do not want your bike sitting on the kickstand in neutral with the engine running. Having the engine off and the bike in 1st gear IS your parking brake.

If you are having trouble shifting while the bike is stopped you can also duck walk the bike forwards or back a bit to get the gears to move in the transmission.

Slipping the clutch spins the gears from the input side of the transmission
moving the bike forwards or back moves the gears in the transmission from the output drive shaft side

either one will get the gears you are trying to engage off the tooth to tooth deadlocked position.

Last edited by KCW; 11-12-2018 at 08:40 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Good advice about the kill switch, that never occurred to me.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
KCW

yes Sir, I've done the rocking method and now I just test it before light changes but normally just leave it in first

AsphaltWarrior
Chris Graham

VSTAR

650V
1100V

ROAD STAR
1700 SILVARADO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode