Installed the 31T pulley - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Installed the 31T pulley

So I found a Stryker pulley from some fella on the Stryker forum for $75 shipped. Got it installed today. Everything works as advertised (even with my 154T Victory belt) EXCEPT for the speedometer. Since it reads off the front pulley I'm now a good 5-6 mph off at 80. I confirmed this with a GPS app on my phone. Speedo read 80, GPS said 75.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:22 PM
KCW

Garage
my 2000 Royal Star drive train and tires are all stock, and its off too.

When the GPS says 70 the speedometer reads 75.

When you know the error just ride accordingly.

Good job on the pulley swap. Having a taller overdrive really changes the feel of the bike.
Mattbastard likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 06:32 PM

I bought one but it's to late in the season here in Minnesota to put it on so I'll have to report on it next year. I had a Honda 750 that I did a similar change on and it made a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:44 AM

what is changing the 31 tooth front pulley meant to do for your bike?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
what is changing the 31 tooth front pulley meant to do for your bike?
It lowers the RPM's at any speed a bit, about 250 RPM at highway speeds, which makes the bike feel more "composed" at high speeds. Before my swap, 80 mph felt really busy and the floorboards were vibey. Now, not so much.
oldfart likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:00 AM
KCW

Garage
^ the trade off is the bike will bog down at lower speeds in all the gears (just a little).

The 2000 Royal Star I have is intended for long road trips. In 4th gear the drive train is 0.906 (overdrive) and in 5th its 0.75 (steep overdrive). The Royal Star is a V4... but if I shift into 5th gear below 55mph, even with the 73HP V4 engine I can feel its loading up until I get the bike up to about 65mph. ( I should say the bike will spool up to 55mph in 3rd gear in seconds , so hitting 5th at 55mph is puttering).

the difference with the 31 tooth front pulley on Matts bike (im not sure which bike he has) is not that extreme like an 0.75 overdrive, but you will feel it on both ends of the rpm curve.
oldfart likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 11-18-2018 at 11:03 AM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post

the difference with the 31 tooth front pulley on Matts bike (im not sure which bike he has) is not that extreme like an 0.75 overdrive, but you will feel it on both ends of the rpm curve.
Sorry, 09 VStar 950.

I really only feel a difference taking off from a stop. Just drag the clutch a bit more and away you go. I kinda wonder if Yammie put the 30T in there just for beginners to keep them from conking the bike out after stops. Also, I don't lug engines. If I gas it from a low RPM I'm in 1st or 2nd gear. Get that engine spinning, these aren't steam engines or tractors.

I kinda wanna try a 32T now. After 200 miles today, a good chunk of it at highway speeds, 80 (real 80) is now right at the cusp of buzzy. Not somewhere I'd like to spend the day to be honest. The bike did have enough pep to move out of its own way at that speed too, even with the higher gearing.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 07:44 PM

Garage
I was going to do this to my 950T, until I used a gearing calculator. With only 2.2 mph gain at 3600 rpm(69mph) it has to be asked if it is worth the money and effort.
For me it makes no improvement on highway driving worth doing it. 5mph gain, then yes I might do it.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
Sorry, 09 VStar 950.

I really only feel a difference taking off from a stop. Just drag the clutch a bit more and away you go. I kinda wonder if Yammie put the 30T in there just for beginners to keep them from conking the bike out after stops. Also, I don't lug engines. If I gas it from a low RPM I'm in 1st or 2nd gear. Get that engine spinning, these aren't steam engines or tractors.

I kinda wanna try a 32T now. After 200 miles today, a good chunk of it at highway speeds, 80 (real 80) is now right at the cusp of buzzy. Not somewhere I'd like to spend the day to be honest. The bike did have enough pep to move out of its own way at that speed too, even with the higher gearing.
I did the 32T pulley about 3 years ago now. Dropped the rpm by 500. Highway is no problem at all for me anymore.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKnight View Post
I did the 32T pulley about 3 years ago now. Dropped the rpm by 500. Highway is no problem at all for me anymore.
So, Warrior pulley?

That's the only one I can think of using.

I've also thought about a 66T Raider rear pulley but can't find one cheap.

Last edited by Mattbastard; 11-19-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode