High mileage v-star 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bfrench
  • 2 Post By Mattbastard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
High mileage v-star 950

Would a 2009 35000 miles be considered a high mileage bike??

How old and how many miles could one of these average?

I'm looking at a 2009 naked 950 with 35000 miles and looking at dressing it up - Harley style bags, moustache highway bars Memphis Shades batwing fairing windshield and then driving the heck out of it to the 60000 mile + mark - asking too much from it????
KCW likes this.

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
NOS purchased April, 2017
0.9 km on the odometer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

35K is just broken in. mine has about 85K right now. take care of it and it should last you well over 100k.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:55 PM

90000 is high miles... I wouldn't worry about 35000 that's 4000 per year... nothing wrong with that

BE WHO YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 PM

The problem with mileage isn't so much a vehicles ability to retain performance with a lot of miles, it's the perception the marketplace has on high mileage vehicles and the increased chances of problems due to higher use.

I've been in that trap before, bitten me in the ass every time on resale but never have been left stranded either.
KCW and bluev11ev like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 PM
KCW

Garage
There are way fewer things to maintain on a motorcycle than a car.

Besides normal lube, filters and tires, in the long run you will need wheel and steering bearings, shock seals, maybe front springs, you will wear out throttle and clutch cables

and in the engine eventually rings, bearings, and valve train chain and tensioners (if your engine does not have push rods).

If you ride a bike long enough to wear the engine out, its almost always easier to find a bike with a low mileage engine and swap it out, compared to the cost and time of rebuilding.

Now... compare that to a high mileage car: Tie rods, bushings, broken springs, alignments, A/C leaks and compressors, cabin blowers, wiper motors, broken windshields, windows and door locks that fail, head liners that fall apart, body and frame rust, exhaust pipes from front to back with swivels and flanges and tin mufflers and hangers, Ebrake cables, steel brake lines that rust out, fuel lines from rear to engine, automatic transmissions, $100 wheel bearing modules that fuse themselves into the swing arms, ball joints, power steering, water pumps, heater cores that leak coolant on the passengers feet, dashboard lights and switches that require you take the entire dash board out to replace, $1000 engine and "body" control modules that fail because the key fob circuit crapped out and wont let you start your perfectly good engine, fuel pumps buried inside the gas tank.

Have I missed anything? After 43 years of driving, I love my 2 motorcycles for their elegant simplicity, and I have really come to hate cars. Seriously considering getting an electric car like a used Nissan Leaf for commuting when the weather is too cold to ride on 2 wheels.

I will take a MC with 100,000 miles on it any day over a car with the same mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode