950 got a Harley rear pulley tonight - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Mattbastard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

950 got a Harley rear pulley tonight

I've only got one thing to say here, why the hell didn't this bike come from the factory like this?????

So I did the 31T pulley from a Stryker. Yea, it helped a little, but when I'm on the interstate here in Floriduh there's times when 80 mph is called for over an extended range. The 950 engine's peppy enough but the gearing limits the comfort zone of that speed by making the bike way too busy feeling right about 75 with the OEM gearing, and about 78 with the 31T.

While I was at the folk's house over Thanksgiving I killed some electrons by searching for options. Turns out, Yamaha Raider's come with a 66T rear pulley. Even if it would fit, the cheapest one I can find on eBay is over $200. BUT, there's some Raider fans going with the Harley 70T pulley for some more torque. It's an easy swap apparently, just drill the pulley stud holes out to 31/64" and you're on your way. They even use the 1.5" pulley width with no mods. HD Part number 40315-94, 94-99 Softail and a few others from the mid 90's.

Now, if the 66T Raider pulley would fit on my 950, and a Harley pulley fits on the Raider cush drive hub, maybe the 65T Harley pulley I have in my garage will fit on my 950???

Like magic AF!!! Studs line up, just drill them out a snatch-hair with the 31/64", bolt it up to the cush drive hub, and install as normal. I even measured the exact distance off the bench from the bottom of the cush drive to the outer edge of the pulley and it's exactly the same as the 70T OEM pulley (3.75") so that tells me alignment will not be an issue.

Now the best part, because I changed the ratio at the opposite end of the speed sensor my speedo is back to dead-nuts accurate! GPS confirmed, maybe 1 mph cold at 80.

The only potential issue I can see 950 owners running into here is the belt length. See how far back my adjuster went? There wasn't much more, and maybe the 156T OEM belt would be too long, especially if you stick with the 30T front pulley. In that regard, the 30T would probably show your speed SLOWER than actual.

80 right now feels smooth as buttah! Like 72 used to. Sure there's a bit less powah for the roll-ons but she still goes, and holds it just fine. Nowhere near as bad as a full dress HD bagger from the mid 00's and that pitful 88" Twin Cam... And honestly, who actually needs to boil the tires under acceleration when you're already going 80?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_153742.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	82806   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_163400.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	82808   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_165206.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	82810  
bevo1981, KCW and AlphaOmega like this.

Last edited by Mattbastard; 11-24-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

how much lugging do you have at the low end?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

None, but I know enough about engines to never do that. I shift into 5th around 65 mph now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

never to do what? i'm wondering about the lower gears, how much loss of torque is noticed.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

I never lug engines. I've personally seen crankshaft damage from engine lugging on Harley's so I only use heavy gas when I'm in the correct rev range or gear.

To be honest now the torque feels better for my riding style. It doesn't "yank you back", but rather has a thrusty feel of longer legs in every gear. Heavy acceleration on my bike now feels like medium acceleration on a large cruiser.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 02:03 PM

Garage
Way cool that it all matches . It seems to open up a lot of gearing options when Harley and Raider pulleys fit.
I wonder, did Harley copy Yamaha, or did Yamaha copy Harley? Or coincidence????
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypupbob View Post
Way cool that it all matches . It seems to open up a lot of gearing options when Harley and Raider pulleys fit.
I wonder, did Harley copy Yamaha, or did Yamaha copy Harley? Or coincidence????
I don't think there was any copying going on, rather coincidence. Manufacturing isn't rocket science. Engineers all day long do as little as possible being as fast as possible to make a design fit under marketing and accounting specifications. Putting many items that fit from other bikes (from the same manufacturer usually) on other models happens all the time! Even with belts, there's nothing special there. 14mm pitch, now just find the length and you're good to go. Oh, will ya look at that, Victory uses 154T. OH, and the VRod international spec belt is a 152T (USA model is 151T). They'll work just fine on our Yammies.

If you think about it, the pulley I used was made for mid 90's bikes, and as long as there's only 5 studs the only thing that can change is the radius each stud is from center (since they're already spaced evenly around) so it's just a matter of luck they're a close fit.

If you wanna more "Yamaha" specific mod, buy the Raider 66T pulley. You're on your own for the belt tho, but I know I'd recommend the 154T Victory belt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode