After riding, seeing/smelling smoke - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

After riding, seeing/smelling smoke

After riding for a bit, pulled into the garbage and there was smoke coming up from the front cylinder right at the beginning of the exhaust pipe. Kinda smells to me like burning oil.... any idea heres a video

https://youtu.be/Yjv3XK-F4m8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 06:59 PM
KCW

Garage
how far did you ride and how did it run?

If the bike was running rich previously there could be some carbon and muck in the exhaust that will burn off for the next 50 miles or so. I notice the pipe is rainbow'ed, which is an indication that fuel or carbon was burning off inside the exhaust.

There is not much you can do about that once the bike as been running rich for a while.

If the bike is running good, and your dont have the choke stuck on, let the bike cool down overnight, check your new plugs tomorrow. If they are not black and fouled out again I think you are good.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:01 PM

Garage
I had an oil leak at the rear valve cover once and the oil seeped around along the fins and dripped onto the front pipe. It looked like it was leaking from the front cover and it took me a bit to find the actual leak. So check everywhere for an oil leak - they can be sneaky.
KCW likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:10 PM
KCW

Garage
^ raises a good question: did you get new orings for the tappet covers? Sometimes the old ones work again, sometimes they will ooze a bit. And you need to torque the tappet cover down to the torque spec. Too tight will bend the cover.

Noticed on your video you said it was only a 3 mile ride, that is not long enough to burn off any residue in the exhaust, or any oil that might have dribbled down when you took the tappet cover off.

If its not oozing oil I would take it for a 20 mile ride and see how it runs.

Last edited by KCW; 11-24-2018 at 07:12 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, I'll check the value covers and get new gaskets for them. I'll also ride it to work and around town and see if it still smokes from the front. Also, I know I'm in Florida, but I saw someone say they use 10w-40 oil. I have 10w-30. Should I use 40????

One last thing ha, of the bottom of where a valve cover screw is like stripped out and wont grab the screw anymore?? Any fixes for that?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 07:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombieaddict94 View Post
One last thing ha, of the bottom of where a valve cover screw is like stripped out and wont grab the screw anymore?? Any fixes for that?
Might try a little longer screw to get to some clean threads to grab onto. I'm almost sure the screw hole is deeper that stock length screw. Just be careful it's not too long that is bottoms out. If that doesn't work putting a heli coil in is the only fix.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 08:00 PM
KCW

Garage
you can get the owners manual for your bike online, they are free in PDF format from the yamaha website

the oil specs are in the owners manual.

Im pretty sure all these bikes are 10W40 or 20W40 for summer riding. In the winter you might need to switch to 10W30 if you are going to ride the bike below 40F.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
how far did you ride and how did it run?

If the bike was running rich previously there could be some carbon and muck in the exhaust that will burn off for the next 50 miles or so. I notice the pipe is rainbow'ed, which is an indication that fuel or carbon was burning off inside the exhaust.

There is not much you can do about that once the bike as been running rich for a while.

If the bike is running good, and your dont have the choke stuck on, let the bike cool down overnight, check your new plugs tomorrow. If they are not black and fouled out again I think you are good.

So if they are fouled what would that indicate?? Havent checked yet but I am about to
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 12:19 PM
KCW

Garage
if your new plugs foul out black the engine is running rich

could be the choke is on, your air filter is very dirty, PM screws too far out.. anything that would set the fuel/air mixture off.

the reason I mentioned it is the rainbow colors on the exhaust pike are a sign of fuel burning in the exhaust - it could just be from your previous big jets, but it would not hurt to make sure.
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 11-25-2018 at 12:30 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

The plugs were good not black and not tan either tho. Still pretty clean. They are brand new. Still burns oil on the front but if it's just residue itll take a while of riding to get it off right ?
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode