32 tooth front pulley vstar 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

32 tooth front pulley vstar 950

So I did something to my wife's 950.... Recently on my RoadStar Warrior I changed front pulleys I went from a 32 to a 33 tooth. It dropped my highway rpms by a little over 500 rpms almost like having a 6th gear now. So I did a bunch of research on changing hers on her 950. I found that my stock RoadStar Warrior pulley would fit with a little modification. So I figured let's give it a try.
So I took the stock 30 tooth pulley off of her bike and put on the stock 32 tooth pulley off of my Warrior. I had to make shims for the front and back of the pulley so off to the hardware store I went. I found some bushings that did the trick. I wish I could remember what size I bought now but of course I didn't write it down. I had to modify the speed sensor bracket to get it to fit. By my assumption doing this should drop her highway rpms about 700 to 800 rpms I really have no way of telling as she does not have a tachometer on her bike. As soon as the snow melts and I can get out of the driveway I will take it for a ride before I let her ride to make sure everything is ok and it runs like it should. She may suffer a little on take off but shouldn't be to much since she has the aftermarket parts to increase power anyways. (Fuel management system, Barons big air kit and a slip on) I will post another update as soon as I take it for a ride. This is still running the stock belt and stock rear pulley.

Of course I took some pictures of what I did though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
bevo1981, lesblank and Mattbastard like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:52 PM

I would love to hear about the results of this. Would love to drop my highway rpms on my 950.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:15 PM

Good stuff here! Before I went 65T on the rear of my 950 I toyed around with the Warrior pulley, I just didn't have one lying around.

You basically just changed your RPM's by 10%. The old gearing, divided by the new gearing: 70/30 divided by 70/32, is 1.097. So now everywhere you used to be at speed will now be 10% lower in RPM.

Your speedo is gonna be wayyyy off now too, fyi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbastard View Post
Good stuff here! Before I went 65T on the rear of my 950 I toyed around with the Warrior pulley, I just didn't have one lying around.

You basically just changed your RPM's by 10%. The old gearing, divided by the new gearing: 70/30 divided by 70/32, is 1.097. So now everywhere you used to be at speed will now be 10% lower in RPM.

Your speedo is gonna be wayyyy off now too, fyi.
I had a feeling the speedo would be off I'm just not sure yet as how much. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. I live in Michigan and we just got about 8 inches of snow so it may be a while before I can try everything out. Her speedo was 5mph off before speedo would say 70 and she was doing 65. I hope soon to be able to see if this works. Fingers crossed....

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingNut View Post
I had a feeling the speedo would be off I'm just not sure yet as how much. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet. I live in Michigan and we just got about 8 inches of snow so it may be a while before I can try everything out. Her speedo was 5mph off before speedo would say 70 and she was doing 65. I hope soon to be able to see if this works. Fingers crossed....

Condolences... I grew up and spent 35 years in WI.

I'd encourage you to download a free GPS app on your phone, then check it quick on some sleepy road (when the snow melts, of course).

My 950, with a friggin car tire on it from the previous owner, was 3ish MPH off with the 70/30. The 70/31 put it at a solid 5mph off. Then when I went 65T in the back the correction went the other way and now it's dead nuts.

Also, do you have a better pic of what you did to the speedo sensor mount? Maybe a pic from the same angle, before and after? It's hard to tell what changed between the two pics.

Thanks.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

My 950, with a friggin car tire on it from the previous owner, was 3ish MPH off with the 70/30. The 70/31 put it at a solid 5mph off. Then when I went 65T in the back the correction went the other way and now it's dead nuts.
you're saying the 31T pulley made your speedo less accurate? others have reported the opposite:

"Speedometer difference dropped from 5-7mph to 2-3mph."

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ulley-mod.html

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Condolences... I grew up and spent 35 years in WI.

I'd encourage you to download a free GPS app on your phone, then check it quick on some sleepy road (when the snow melts, of course).

Also, do you have a better pic of what you did to the speedo sensor mount? Maybe a pic from the same angle, before and after? It's hard to tell what changed between the two pics.

Thanks.
Well if you look at the pictures you can see where I started to cut it. I basically cut the bevell off the end if it. Then I put a spacer in between the sensor and the mount to bring it back flush with the sensor bracket.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
you're saying the 31T pulley made your speedo less accurate? others have reported the opposite:

"Speedometer difference dropped from 5-7mph to 2-3mph."

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...ulley-mod.html
Yes! My only retort to those claims was were they proven by taping their phones with the GPS app running right next to the speedo and hitting the interstate? I'm 100% positive my speedo was 5 mph off at 80 with the 31T. Unless, of course, my GPS was not "calibrated" and all the Tampa interstate flowing traffic was screwing with me about average pace. That's what tipped me off about my speedo in the first place. The damn thing said 70, but I'm getting my doors blown off!!! Then my dad (14 Street Glide) asked me why the hell I was going "around 65"?

And to be 100% transparent, I never actually did the same GPS thing with my 70-30 combo so it very well may have been 6-7 mph off with that gearing at those speeds. I'd like to encourage someone with an app to do this, just to see. Having somebody riding next to you isn't the same either, use the app. It's a free download.

It's all because of damn cheap Engineers taking the speedo sensor off the front wheel... Shoulda just left well enough alone, damn nerds.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

with the stock setup, the 950 speedo registers up to 10% higher than actual speed above 40mph. i think most current production cruisers do about the same. i looked into this a while back and this was about the best answer i could find for why: https://www.sportrider.com/how-to-fi...le-speedometer

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Just a update on the 32 tooth pulley.

IT WORKS!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode