09 950 Star tourer with low gas mileage - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By bevo1981
  • 1 Post By Preacher15
  • 1 Post By graybeard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

09 950 Star tourer with low gas mileage

I have a 09 950 star and I think I am getting aub-par gas mileage. I can get about 140 miles a tank before I get a fuel light, but I see people on here that get 200-210 miles before fuel light. I have a power commander V and a vance and Hines 2 to 1 pipes on my bike. Also, speaking of the power commander, I can not find any maps for the 950, just the 1300. The bike came with it installed.

Any help would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 07:29 AM

Garage
Most higher fuel mileage is obtained with a steady cruise speed of 50 - 55. I very seldom ride like that so my mileage is always on the low side. I'm normally commuting in stop and go traffic or steady Freeway speeds of 75 plus. My right hand has total control of my gas mileage and my hand seems to have a constant twitch. 😀 Here's a link for the maps you were looking for.
Power Commander Motorcycle Fuel Injection Tuning Module
bevo1981 likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:46 AM
KCW

Garage
With the power commander you can adjust the air fuel mixture as if you had variable jet sizes on a carburetor bike.

When a bike is modified with aftermarket exhaust or air intake filter setups, you need to increase the amount of fuel to match the increased air flow.

Most people also crank it up a bit more, because the bike is a bit more responsive and smooth with the mixture set higher than the factory emissions-level driven settings.

That alone reduces your mpgs. But when you modified the bike to get more HP, you are going to be inclined to use that extra HP, and that will burn up more fuel.

If you like the way the bike is running, and your plugs look normal (a bit on the black side = a little bit rich) then dont turn the power commader settings down. Running too lean will burn holes thru your pistons and burn your valves - you have to err on the rich side or risk destroying your engine.

The one thing to check is your air filter- if its not white like paper its restricting your airlflow and making the engine run even more rich than necessary.

Another thing that pulls your mpgs down is a windshield/ fairing/ lowers and saddle bags. Anything in the airstream other that your smiling face increase the wind drag and requires more fuel to go the same distance at the same speed. If you want to get better mileage riding locally, take all that stuff off the bike: ride naked.

So.... if you are comparing your modified 950 tourer to a stock 950, or a naked 950, you cant possible get the same mpgs as a stock factory naked bike.
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 11-28-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

people getting 200 miles a tank on a 950 have a stock setup and don't do any city riding or see any traffic or stop-n-go intersections. that means an average speed of about 50-60mph weekend empty road riding with no acceleration. your goal shouldn't be to try to save an extra quarter or 2 per hour of riding to achieve a 200 mile tank, unless that's what's most enjoyable to you. your 140 miles per tank is pretty close to the actual average mileage most 950 owners post which is around 160 miles before the fuel light comes on. my light usually comes on between 120-130 miles because i do a lot of city riding and i twist my throttle every chance i get, plus i have mods.
lesblank and graybeard like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:26 PM

Garage
I get between 130 and 140 before I fill up. I don't worry what everyone is getting because of the difference in driving styles and terrain we all drive in. I love the feel of driving up and down small hills because of the shifting, the wind, the feel of the power and many other things.
The best advise I can give is to drive safe but drive it like you stole it!!!! You will love it.

"Dance like this is the last dance "
2009 V Star 950 Tourer
Windshield; Clevver; V&H exhaust.; Highway bar
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:19 AM

Garage
I'm in the 130 mile range when my light comes on too, depending on where I'm riding. If it's stop and go city it's usually 120 miles or less. If it's mostly back roads around 55 mph then it's 130 or more.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 01:03 PM

I bought my 950 on Nov 5th so the first tank through was whatever was in it when I bought it. I filled it up and ran it to 137 miles and the light came on. 6 miles to the gas station. I put 3.7 gallons in it. 143/3.7=38 mpg. Most of my riding has been under 50mph, stop sign to stop sign on curvy back roads (often in the wrong gear &#128514 while I get used to being back in the saddle. But Iím satisfied with it so far.
bevo1981 likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 03:43 PM

Garage
I agree that 140 miles at fill up isn't that bad. How much gas does it take to fill 'er back up? Every fill up I check my mileage. It varies from mid forties to low fifties and is totally dependent upon what I've been doing and where. Highway miles have been pretty consistently 50+ but only if I'm not spending a lot of time around 80mph or fighting a big head wind. Otherwise I expect about a 5mpg drop.

BTW, mine is 2010 with 18k miles, I am about 215 lbs and have a stock windscreen and ignition is stock, Everything is stock. I put an ounce or so of Sea Foam in a full tank 2 or 3 times about 3000 miles ago in response to getting around 40mpg once. That could have been due to anything from incomplete fillup to too much throttle or playing with my throttle lock. Whatever it was went away and I'm happy with the mileage I'm getting.
bevo1981 likes this.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode