"new" bike.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Talking "new" bike....

Adding to our stable....
I joked about the fact that I left the Harley parked next to the wife's GZ250 too long and they spawned a child. LOL....

I actually have been looking for almost a month for a winter project. Coming up short on the usual robbery setup sites, I stopped by a local shop. The counter guy said they certainly had a few bikes that would be for sale. Short version of the story is that I found a 2004 V Star 650 parked in the back lot of the shop with vines grown all up into the front end.

The owner of the shop told me the owner would probably be more than willing to part with it for cheap. After a couple of days of back and forth chats, I brought the bike home this morning.

I had the kids help me... sort of.

I got it home. I removed and drained the tank... added a quart of oil.... and found that the battery had been disconnected. Hmmm... I had to dig for a couple of battery bolts. I was surprised to find the battery was still showing 12v on my multimeter! I put my charger on it anyway. Fresh gas. Full of oil. It fired right up. It ran rough, obviously for a little while, but it cleared up after several minutes of idling and working the throttle a bit.

This was the after the first start. First start in well over a year.

After confirming it ran, I started to check on what I was certain would be a chewed up input (pinion) gear on the differential. Aaaannnnd it was.

The unexpected discovery was the rear wheel hub was broken dead center of the wheel bearing. So, I'll have to get a new wheel too.

Currently shopping for some parts, now.

01 BMW R1100RT, 99 Fat Boy, 07 GZ250, 04 V Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 10:57 PM
KCW

Garage
What does the odo say for miles on the bike?

its unusual to see a rear hub and spines torn up like that - hardly recognize some of the parts.
CanadianMohawk likes this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 11:04 PM
KCW

Garage
have you tried to get a hold of Maustarman:
https://www.starbikeforums.com/forum...tml#post987454

Im not sure where he lives. It looks like maybe california plates in one of those photos.

there is a private message function on the forum, that will probably send him an email notice of a new PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
What does the odo say for miles on the bike?

its unusual to see a rear hub and spines torn up like that - hardly recognize some of the parts.
37,000 miles. A bit over.... closer to 38,000 IIRC. Bike runs pretty darn good. Smells a bit rich, but there's no smoke. Only thing I found later on was gooped up RTV on top of the clutch lever seal on top of the engine case. That is probably the source of the oil that was on the frame. Been like that a long time. There was oil-caked dirt all over the back side of the frame. When I got the wheel off, it was nasty in there. I carted it out into the driveway and pressure washed it. Looks like new..... almost. LOL.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:43 AM
KCW

Garage
Along with saving $35 per wheel, that why I prefer to take the wheels off my motorbike myself when its time for new tires. There are things you can only see with the wheels off, and it gives me a chance to clean and paint those spaces as needed.

were you able to lift the bike high enough with that floor jack to get the back wheel out from under the fender?

I dont have a big bike lift, with the 650 classic I have to undo part of the rear fender and swing it up to get the rear wheel out. I only lift the bike a few inches off the ground.

When you put the wheel back together dont forget the two spacers (short tubes) that go on each side. Last time I had my back tire changed I put it all back on the bike, and was reaching for the torque wrench to get on the axle bolt, and there was the long spacer tube that goes inside the hub, sitting on the garage floor.

Also hook up the bar that keeps the brake assembly from spinning with its bolt before you torque the axle bolt. Once the axle is torqued you cannot rotate the right side of the wheel hub to line up that brace bar.

The first time I took the wheel off I followed the service manual sequence step by step. The 2nd time I thought I knew what I was doing, and it took me twice as long.

Last edited by KCW; 12-09-2018 at 10:48 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I have a small frame lift. Funny thing is that its like 1/2 and inch too short. I laid a piece of plywood I had handy on top of that so it would not slide off of the lift. The saddle bags were shot and had to come off. They had been drilled and bolted through the bag supports... so the fender naturally came right off since I had to remove those bolts.

You made me have to go back and look at the exploded parts view.... As long as the two spacers are the short one on the brake side and the long one between the two wheel bearings inside the hub.... yea, I got em.

I'm cheap. I generally do all my own work. I have been known to buy a set of tires for my Jeep and swap with out in the driveway with my hi-lift and tire spoons.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 04:33 PM
KCW

Garage
Ive changed my MC tires once. That was enough for me to know I can do it if I need to, and I dont want to do it again with C clamps to break the bead, and shear will to get the new stiff tire on the wheel, and then get the tube valve stem thru the wheel hole.

Bike shops around here will do a tire mount carry in for about $30 to $35, with a tube.

Car tires - Walmart will mount and balance a car tire for $10. I wont be doing any more tire mounting unless I get my hands on the machine they use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode