I think Yamaha engineers... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

I think Yamaha engineers...

designed the V Star 1100 Silverado for me. There is not a thing about this bike that I do not like. I have heard guys say they would like taller gearing for highway but I can honestly say never bothered me at all. I can get on the PA turnpike or I-80 in northern PA or I-95 south of me and never bothered by engine rpm. I have never exceeded 80mph on it and when I think about it I can't remember the last time I had my car over 80. I ride mostly 2 lane rural and mountain roads but I often just take off and head for my Daughter's house to see my grandkids or up to NY. I have a buddy from Ohio that is constantly sending me messages about good deals on Harley's but I can only afford 1 bike and I can't imagine ever selling or trading my V Star. It has been super reliable and easy to maintain. Just got done checking valve clearance I do it every winter before parking it whether it needs it or not. I put new intake boots on this year as mine were beginning to crack. My bike is pretty much stock as far as engine goes, I did remove baffles from pipes but AIS still connected. I have extended forward controls, highway bars, backrest, ORK, tailbag, stereo and a few other goodies bolted on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0355.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	82990   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0351.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	82992   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0362.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	82994  
dave star, lesblank, eruby and 5 others like this.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 06:48 PM

Garage
I have to agree on all counts, with the caveat of riding solo. Mine works great with just me on it on the highway up as high as 90 for a few miles, but with a passenger it could use just a little more. Overall, as far as reliability, styling and comfort, they definitely hit the nail on the head though.
lesblank likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

The only 2 up riding I do is on secondary local roads. Wife really not fond of bikes but we go for afternoon rides occasionally, she enjoys short rides. Now my dog is a different story, she is small beagle mix breed? she goes everywhere in a custom seat I made for her on passenger pillion. Forgot she was behind me this summer and after about 130 miles she was ready to jump off to do her business. She gets most of the attention when we are riding.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

My 2up partner

This is my loyal "Road Dog".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180422_134250.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	82996  
lesblank, CanadianMohawk and Boots like this.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 12:14 AM

Garage
Really nice bike and setup - I like the forward controls - would put them on my 650 but I want a highway bar just in case - I like yours - do you remember the name of the highway bar manufacturer????

Bill
2015 Yamaha V-Star XVS65A Classic
NOS purchased April, 2017
0.9 km on the odometer
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

bfrench, they are oem Star Big bar engine guards. Think they are available at places like Babbit's or Yamaha Sports Plaza.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 09:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzer View Post
designed the V Star 1100 Silverado for me. There is not a thing about this bike that I do not like. I have heard guys say they would like taller gearing for highway but I can honestly say never bothered me at all. I can get on the PA turnpike or I-80 in northern PA or I-95 south of me and never bothered by engine rpm. I have never exceeded 80mph on it and when I think about it I can't remember the last time I had my car over 80. I ride mostly 2 lane rural and mountain roads but I often just take off and head for my Daughter's house to see my grandkids or up to NY. I have a buddy from Ohio that is constantly sending me messages about good deals on Harley's but I can only afford 1 bike and I can't imagine ever selling or trading my V Star. It has been super reliable and easy to maintain. Just got done checking valve clearance I do it every winter before parking it whether it needs it or not. I put new intake boots on this year as mine were beginning to crack. My bike is pretty much stock as far as engine goes, I did remove baffles from pipes but AIS still connected. I have extended forward controls, highway bars, backrest, ORK, tailbag, stereo and a few other goodies bolted on.
where can i get that studded dash between the bars and windshield, i never liked bat wings but what your using would work for me too

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Pauli466, it is custom made. Piece of plywood with cutouts for audio receiver, and speakers. Cushioned covered and studded by a guy that does upholstery. The receiver is am/fm, with inputs for ipod, phone, flash drive etc. The speakers are marine grade. Unit is clamped to bars with couple of hidden straps. It actually works very well, you can hear music even at highway speeds. Gotta have tunes when 'cruisin' at least I do anyhow.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 05:34 PM

Hello Grizzer, I like your Blue star haven't seen too many in blue before.
I'm about and hour and half north of you near Punxsutawney. We have some racing friends from around the Latrobe area. We have a son who lives near Greensburg, pretty nice area where your at.

My wife and I have had our 1100 V Star about a year now, really enjoyed last summer. We bought an old 2005, with very little miles on it, I fell in love with the Raspberry and Black, we added some wind deflectors, Mustang seat and we were off.
We took a week and rode up into the NY finger lakes area and around the many falls in that area. I was a little worried the wife wouldn't enjoy it as that was our first ever vacation type trip on a bike, and traveling very "light" was very unusual for her, but second day in, the wife admitted she was loving it.
Steve
lesblank likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Hey Steve, I go through your neck of the woods a couple times every spring, summer, and fall. I take 119 up to Punxsatawney and get on 36 from there up to Cook's Forest and then on to Tionesta PA where my family has a camp. There are shorter more direct routes from my place but I like the "long way" with all the scenery.
Steve from Pa likes this.

PEACE and BLESSINGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode